To my little corner of the world where there is no limit to creativity. Where possibilities are endless. Where life happens and is embraced. And where a sense of humor is a must!

Sewing Southpaw...

Is the place where I share my creativity, my hobbies, and other stuff!


PET STORE PUPPIES AND INTERNET PUPPIES ARE PUPPY MILL PUPPIES.

NEVER BUY A PUPPY FROM A PET STORE OR FROM THE INTERNET...

STOP THE CRUELTY. DON'T SHOP - ADOPT!




NMDR Website

Colorado Miniature Schnauzer Rescue

Miniature Schnauzer Vintage Dog Rescue




Translators:
OR:



This is my son - all grown up.
I'm so very proud of him!
But I wish he would call
just a little more often :-)
Hugs, Mom

Fritz Von Woofshmidt
01/10/2000 - 01/04/2014



Fritz (aka Boo)
The very bestest doggy ever!


Visit My Shoppes

SSCandQ
  • Etsy
  • Ebay
  • PayPal
  • Email Me


  • Eye Candy Links
    My Photos At

    flickr

    www.flickr.com
    Hookstragang's My Own Creations photosetHookstragang's My Own Creations photoset






    In Loving Memory of
    Bella Donna


    In the short time that we had together your unconditional love filled our lives with happiness, and our hearts with joy.

    Your passing leaves us forever changed.

    Rest in peace my sweet, darling, little girl.

    July 5, 2006
    to
    October 19, 2007


    Legal Guide
    For Bloggers

    Free Web Site Graphics:



    Leather To Lace




    for visiting my blog





    Powered by Blogger

     





    “The most potent muse of all is our own inner child.”
    Stephen Nachmanovitch

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Colorado, United States



    I'm a wife, a mom, a dog lover, a complete lefty, a true scorpio, and I'm on a creative journey. I welcome you to join me.



    Sewing Southpaw...

    Is the place where I share my creativity, my hobbies, and other stuff!


    31 August 2006

    Remembering the Summer of 2005; Nearing the Close of Summer 2006; and Moving Forward

    As I’m sure everyone is aware, August 29th marked a full year since Hurricane Katrina tore apart the lives of thousands along the gulf coast of Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana. And, of course, the ‘collateral damage’ that nearly destroyed New Orleans. I say collateral because the facts, right from the beginning got skewed. They were misstated, and misrepresented. And the cause of these events, in the minds of most people, are COMPLETELY INCORRECT!!!!!! Given my background and training as a paralegal, I am fact driven. So maybe that's why this is a point that I take particular issue with:

    We cannot continue to blame Hurricane Katrina for the destruction of New Orleans. SHE DID NOT DO IT! It was not actual hurricane damage that caused the tragedy in New Orleans. It was not the act of Mother Nature, but one related to man-made error. It was the result of improperly maintained levies, of weak local government, of too little tax dollars, and it was neglect! In the end, it was the result of the flooding that did New Orleans in. That being said....

    My heart goes out in acknowledgement of everyone still trying to rebuild their lives, everyone still grieving for loved ones, and everyone who has died. You have not been forgotten with the passage of time. I would also like to give thanks to the city of Houston. I'm so proud to be living in the Houston area. This city did such a wonderful thing, taking in, housing, feeding, and caring for nearly 300,000 New Orleans evacuees.

    Now, the reason for this post is that as the date draws near again, I'm remembering our own evacuation nightmare which came on the heels of Katrina last year. We know her as Rita and she had us on the run. We evacuated on September 22nd and she made landfall on September 24th. What an adventure!

    I have never experienced anything quite like that before. Earthquakes? Yes:

    Loma Prieta, 7.1 in magnitude on 10/17/89. We lived just 16 miles from where the Cypress Structure (Oakland, CA) collapsed, and were just 50 miles from the epicenter(Santa Cruz, CA). Tornadoes? Yes: Salt Lake City, Ut., F2, on 08/11/99. It touched down just 2 blocks from where I worked. But Hurricanes? No. And I must say that hurricanes are a completely different animal. You just have too long to prepare for them. Such a state of prolonged anxiety and worry.

    At the time of Rita we lived just 50 miles inland of Galveston Bay. We didn’t even entertain thoughts of leaving our home until Rita was upgraded to a category 4. (She eventually reached category 5 status.) At that point, we knew that if she stayed on course, we couldn’t stay in our home. Well, as it happens Rita changed course and we were spared. For that I am truly thankful because so many others were not so lucky.

    In retrospect, dismantling our home-in hopes of salvaging something from the rubble we were certain we would come home to-was a silly thing to do. At the time, it seemed a prudent choice. Just as the evacuation itself also seemed like a prudent choice at the time. However, after we spent 15 hours stuck in mostly bumper to bumper, going NO WHERE traffic, just to find ourselves unable to find gas, or shelter, and having my dear sweet doggie, Fritz nearly die from the heat (106 degrees, 97% humidity, and we couldn’t use the A/C because we couldn’t spare the gas), I wonder if we wouldn’t have been better off taking our chances at home. Hmmmm, who knows?

    At any rate, some 24 hours later we ultimately ended up in San Angelo, TX., in a hotel room, where we remained for 3 days. BTW, the people, the private and public agencies, and government of San Angelo could not have been more accommodating. They did not jack up gas prices, or food prices, or hotel prices. Thank you, for that San Angelo!

    So, now as Labor Day approaches and summer of 2006 draws to a close we keep our fingers crossed that we won’t be hunkering down again, or fleeing our home.

    Later this afternoon, I'll be posting some pictures from of our last trip to New Orleans, in late February 2004. It was a wonderful trip. I'm so thankful that we took our son. This is the New Orleans that I will always remember. Please say a silent prayer for the lives effected as you browse through them.

    Labels: ,

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home