05 September 2006

Another Car in the Garage

Well, it was bound to happen. But what an eye-opener it turned out to be on Monday when we had to clean out the garage to make room for a 3rd vehicle.

Yes, light-bulb goes off - my baby is going to be 16 in 6 weeks. He’s had his Learner’s Permit for nearly a year and has gotten quite a bit of driving experience under his belt. Yet, when we started car shopping a few weeks ago it never really occurred to me what that actually meant. He’s about to take a head dive out of the nest. He’ll be flying alone! And I’m wondering just how large of a crowbar we’ll need to pry me loose (lol).

The odd thing is that the day started out pretty much the same as the one before. Uneventful. But around noon it started to pick up momentum. The next thing I know, we are on our way to revisit ‘the car’ from last week. My DH grabs the check book, we all pile into my Jeep, and we’re off!

It seems that the next thing I remember is feeling stunned. Why, you ask? Well, because DH decides that right out of the shoot, our son should have the car of ‘his dreams.’ My DH’s rational? “When I turned 16 my dad bought me a brand new 1969 GTO TriPower, and he was still driving an old pick up truck.” So, with eyes rolling and head shaking I think back to how I had to buy my first (very used) car all by my little lonesome. Anyway, as I began to regain my senses, I discovered what the automobile insurance was going to cost. I darn near dropped face first on the floor! And if I was certain that I could get back up, I just might have.

I’m still wondering if I was actually in the Twilight Zone or not. I remember the sales person fueling a 2004, fire engine red, Mustang Coupe as we marched off to do ‘the paperwork.’ I vaguely remember the three of us sitting in the waiting room. My little darling just beaming. Grinning from ear to ear. DH tapping the check book on his knee, and me, with a blank look on my face and still shaking my head.

All too soon the fog disappeared and reality set in. It was a done deal. The kid had keys in hand, DH was climbing into ‘the kid’s car’, and poor befuddled mom is bringing up the rear in her Jeep. Awwwwwww, I’m hoping that this little adventure will somehow help prepare me for when he leaves for college. :)

No comments: