18 October 2006

Rainy Day

For those of you who think that TEXAS is a dry state, guess again. The greater Houston area is not a dry part of the state by any stretch of the imagination. We typically get around 50 inches of rain a year. That is one heck of a lot of rain!

It's not uncommon for us to get up to 4 inches in an hour or so. But on the 16th, we got nearly double that amount of rain in a few hours. Add the fact that we had been getting quite a bit of rain for a few days prior, it made this rain fall even more of a problem. The ground was already fairly saturated, and the waterways dangerously full.

I've posted a few pictures of my front and back yards just for the 'visual effect' but we didn't experience any flooding in our home or garage. I can almost hear you gasping. When you see this for the first time it goes beyond frightening. At least it was for me, having moved from a mountainous state, but classified as a dessert climate by definition. Now, the most frustrating part of it is waiting for it to dry out enough that the dogs don't have to be hosed down every time they've been outside.

3 comments:

Susan said...

That is scary. The other thing about Houston rain is that it doesn't cool things off when it's hot. It just goes from steamy to rain to steamy. =) If we come over to Livingston this winter, I hope you and I can get together for lunch or a quilt/CQ shop hop.

bingo~bonnie said...

Hello, I am a 1st time visitor to your blog - I found you from Charleen's blog where she shared her favorite spot and mentioned maybe you would be next. Anyway, I read your entry about the rain, and thought gees, that is just like here - and then scrolled up to see where you are located and Ta-Da - we are both located in SE Texas!!! I am in Orange. :c)

We have a lot in common too and I have only read the top of your blog. I am a SAHM and have 1 miniature schnauzer :c) Both of which, I have posted on my new blog about :c)

I look forward to reading your blog!! Happy Weekend ~Bonnie

abeautifulcraft said...

Oh if you have spare rain, please send it our way, we are in such bad drought!!! I've forgotten what it even looks like!!