02 November 2006

My Latest Project - A Pin Cushion

I got the idea for this pin cushion from some photos on a web site. It could have been an online magazine, or a blog, or something I ran across jumping from one link to another. I didn't note it, DUH, but I know I saw them in more than one place. And if you're anything like me, you've already run across them surfing. LOL. I know that if you do a search for 'free pin cushion pattern' a lot of sites will be listed. It's just a matter of browsing through them. Sorry, but I'm just not motivated enough to try and back track.

**Correction**
(Thanks to Frederique at Quilting, Patchwork & Applique, I have been directed to the tutorial on this pin cushion. It was at Whip Up. BTW, Frederique, very cool blog you have!!!! Thanks, Gerry)

Anyway, I used a bread plate as my template. It seemed like a good size, and in the end it was. I cut 24 tops, and 24 bottoms. I sewed them together, turned them inside out leaving room (about an 1 1/2") to stuff them. They are stuffed with run-of-the-mill fiberfill. I used regular yarn to wrap it and sewed on regular shirt buttons, top and bottom to cover up all of the yarn running through the middle of it.











Not counting time to cut the top and bottom fabrics, it took about 15 minutes to put it together. That's probably the quickest project I've ever worked on. And with everything that I have on my plate right now, that's a real BONUS!

Although these are easy and fun to make, I'm going to have to enlarge my pattern and make a few of them CQ'd. After you get used to the impact that 'eye candy' has, anything else looks sort of plain.

13 comments:

Frederique said...

Your little pincushion is so cute! I remember seeing the tutorial here : http://whipup.net/2006/03/01/stickin-it-to-the-pincushion/

Charlene ♥ NC said...

How cute these are - and big enough to take the place of the two or three I have on my side table when I'm working. These would make great Art Meme gifts, wouldn't they??

Gerry said...

They are 5" across & 1 1/2" tall. They would make a great MeMe gift. I would like to make some CQ's though. That would be a really nice gift.

Ati said...

Gerry, thanks, what a good idea !
I will try it tomorrow. Use a breadplate, so easy.

Susan said...

Oh, this is one of the ones I've seen that I really like. Thanks for thi link!

Cat said...

I was just thinking lately I need a real pin cushion. Currently I use a small patch of felt. Thanks for the good idea, I need to make one. They would look good in CQ like you said - be sure to show!!!
Smiles, Cat

Gerry said...

Cat, it's great to see you out and about. Are you settled yet? But then again, do you ever really get settled after a move???? Thanks for visiting!

Ati said...

Hi again, I made one Gerry, it turned out well. I shall take a photo and put it on my blog. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gerry- this is great. I have been wanting to make one of these in CQ for a while now. I am glad you shared what size you used cuz I wasn't really sure.

I love the fabric. How perfecte is that? =)

lillian

Gerry said...

Thank you so much for the comments/compliments! I really had fun with this. But DON'T FORGET....I got this idea and basic pattern from WHIP UP. (just giving credit, where credit is due)

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to make some of these for a while!

Anonymous said...

Gerry, guess what the gals in the family are getting in their Christmas Stockings this year:) tee hee Thank you they're great I'm going to try my hand at it this week end:)
HUGZ:)
Candi

Gerry said...

Thank you Candi. Be sure to post photos for us. I'll watch your blog!