14 December 2006

iPod Nano and Accessory Case

This is my newest commissioned work. It's actually the first of two bags that have to be done by Sunday night. You can see my eyes rolling, right? LOL.

Anyway, this bag was fashioned by using the pattern that I made for my Paisley Bauble Bag entry, which was part of the CQN swap in October.

The recipients of these bags are 12 and 14 year old girls. "Girly-girls" according to my client. And the idea was to have a bag that would not only accommodate an iPod Nano, its charger, and cords but would also offer some protection.

My first thought was to use iron or wood. LOL. And since that didn't seem practical, I chose to design a bag that they would want to protect, thereby naturally offering protection to the contents.

Although I haven't actually seen ad iPod Nano, I did look them up on the Internet. I knew they were small but I didn't have any idea how small until I started working on this bag.

For those of you who don't know the size of the Nano, they are 3.5 x 1.6 x .27. Tiny little buggers. And now they have a iPod Shuffle which is about the size of a postage stamp. Wow. Trying to keep pace with technology is a real challenge anymore.

The bag itself is 7 1/2" x 6 1/4", with a 22" strap, which is made of small coring. The seam treatments are minimal but there is a lot of bead work on the bag. And we all know how time consuming hand stitching is. And because I misjudged a few items, I ended up with more hand stitching than I needed to. Oh well, a lesson learned for bag #2. LOL.

For a closure I used buttons and ribbon. I can't do button holes. Never have been able to 'get it' so I didn't even try this time. Besides, it gives the bag a very fun and unique look. They are functional and they suit the style of the bag and the pattern of the fabrics.

The little Nano pouch inside is open at the bottom on two sides. I'm not sure which side the ear phones plug into. So, I thought it best to cover my bases.

I also didn't attempt embroidering the monogram. Instead I chose to print a suitable font onto fabric and embellished it with ribbon and beads.

Well, I'm tickled with it. I just love when a project comes together and turns out the way, or better than I expected. Aaaaawwwwe. Off to the next one.


4 comments:

Ati said...

Gerry, I love it, so the girl who get this very, very nice bag has to love it too!
I am very courious what the other one will look.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

What a neat project - and a sweet little gadget holder, too. Congratulations for finishing off your 'to do' list so quickly. My list is growing instead of finishing!

TeresaB said...

What fun! Lucky girls to be receiving these pouches as gifts! Just the thing for girly girls!

Cat said...

Hey this is great! My son's and husband all have ipods! If I did...I would want a neat bag like this for it!