19 January 2007

How To......

START THAT BUSINESS

Okay, I've gotten the fabric monster sorted out. I've even got a number of pieces cut. I'm in the process of putting together five 1/2 yard bundles. Like the photos below. I'm not sure of the arrangement yet but at least it's a start.

I've chosen to use 1/2 yard cuts because I really don't care for fat quarters. They always seem to leave me just a little bit short of what I need. I like to use a number of different colors and patterns together because I like to hand piece. Which adds up to a lot of cutting and altering anyway.

With 2 and 1/2 yards of fabric you can make a nice little quilt, wall hanging or other assorted project. And I'm not looking to include enough fabric for the backing piece. My back pieces seldom match the front. Coordinate, yes. But match....seldom.







Now, the scary part. I need to write up my template for ebay. At least I assume it will be ebay. I've looked around quite a bit at other sellers stores, listing, etc., and have tried to 'model' after that. Remembering not to leave out the important stuff, or the fine print. LOL. But what I've come up with is sort of "FLAT." I'll keep working on that too, I guess. Pricing is also a mystery for me. I always look for a bargain but I'm willing to pay a fair price. If it's something I REALLY WANT, I'm also apt to pay too much.

If any of you out there have experienced this same dilemma, I would really appreciate any suggestions that you might be willing to offer. This has always been a hobby for me. Turning it into a business (of sorts) is a very different experience. Well, back to the 'cutting' table. :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first response at reading this is that I wouldn't be buying your half-yard cuts. Have you done any research on buyers' preferences between half yard and fat quarters?

For myself, I'd rather have the bigger variety I could get in the Fqs.

Gerry said...

I hope I address the correct person. Lilith (?), I've seen your work on Flickr. It's very lovely.

I appreciate your candor. I actually have done considerable research on 1/2's vs. 1/4's. I guess it depends on who you ask. LOL. And offering both is certainly an option.

What did you mean by a 'bigger variety' in Fqs?

Cat said...

I think the 1/2 yard pieces would work well for a small quilt project. When I've shopped for fabric for like a baby quilt I usually would buy about 5 1/2 yard pieces. Give it a try and see what goes, you can always change.

You have the right idea to look over how other sellers do a write-up.

Cool that you're going to sell. I really need to sort thu my boxes of fabs and sell again, but they're not good matched sets!

Be sure to put an ebay link on your blog when you're ready to fly.

Cat said...

Oh! You did the link already!

Ati said...

I have no idea of prizes in the states, but I will wish you luck with your business!!

Gerry said...

Cat & Ati, thanks for the input. For now I'm reading up on business basics. I guess it will work itself out. And trial and error will take care of the rest. LOL.

Susan said...

Hi, Gerry. You have good taste and have matched some great fabrics. I think the third one really needs a dark. They all read the same to me in the picture. What about breaking that one into two groups, and adding something darker, maybe also something with a larger or smaller size print?

I think the only way you will really know is to put your stuff out there and see what happens. If people buy, your choices are right, if they don't, you might need to rethink something.

2.5 yards in a quilt store, we're talking about $20, more or less, depending on sales, etc. If you are on eBay, you can do an auction, with a buy it now price. I don't know what you are paying for your fabrics, but the rule of thumb is double your wholesale cost.

Best of luck in this.