To my little corner of the world where there is no limit to creativity. Where possibilities are endless. Where life happens and is embraced. And where a sense of humor is a must!

Sewing Southpaw...

Is the place where I share my creativity, my hobbies, and other stuff!


PET STORE PUPPIES AND INTERNET PUPPIES ARE PUPPY MILL PUPPIES.

NEVER BUY A PUPPY FROM A PET STORE OR FROM THE INTERNET...

STOP THE CRUELTY. DON'T SHOP - ADOPT!




NMDR Website

Colorado Miniature Schnauzer Rescue

Miniature Schnauzer Vintage Dog Rescue




Translators:
OR:



This is my son - all grown up.
I'm so very proud of him!
But I wish he would call
just a little more often :-)
Hugs, Mom

Fritz Von Woofshmidt
01/10/2000 - 01/04/2014



Fritz (aka Boo)
The very bestest doggy ever!


Visit My Shoppes

SSCandQ
  • Etsy
  • Ebay
  • PayPal
  • Email Me


  • Eye Candy Links
    My Photos At

    flickr

    www.flickr.com
    Hookstragang's My Own Creations photosetHookstragang's My Own Creations photoset






    In Loving Memory of
    Bella Donna


    In the short time that we had together your unconditional love filled our lives with happiness, and our hearts with joy.

    Your passing leaves us forever changed.

    Rest in peace my sweet, darling, little girl.

    July 5, 2006
    to
    October 19, 2007


    Legal Guide
    For Bloggers

    Free Web Site Graphics:



    Leather To Lace




    for visiting my blog





    Powered by Blogger

     





    “The most potent muse of all is our own inner child.”
    Stephen Nachmanovitch

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Colorado, United States



    I'm a wife, a mom, a dog lover, a complete lefty, a true scorpio, and I'm on a creative journey. I welcome you to join me.



    Sewing Southpaw...

    Is the place where I share my creativity, my hobbies, and other stuff!


    10 April 2007

    Another Life Lost to Breast Cancer

    We returned home yesterday from a very sorrowful trip to the Mid-West. My DH's sister, Lou lost her fight with breast cancer at 66. She will be missed. She touched so many lives.

    The truly sad part of it is that she was always good to have her mammograms. But somehow she missed one. And as life would have it, she developed breast cancer during that time.

    She is survived by her two children, her three grandchildren, a sister, and two brothers. She was a teacher and loved teaching. She was a good Christian, and a wonderfully caring person. She always remembered everyone's birthdays and anniversaries, and would often send a card or make a phone call just to say, "hello."

    As a memorial to her, I made this CQ Block for her daughter, Mindy. I was very flattered that she chose to display it with other treasures and memorial items at Lou's service. I hope that looking at it will bring a smile to her face in troubled times.

    This is, of course, the naked block. I didn't have anything particular color theme in mind when I pieced it but I am very happy with how well it turned out



    I chose this poem because it most suited the sentiment that I was trying to convey, based on what I knew of their relationship. The angel represents the promise that Lou is cradled in love. And I wrapped it in a pink ribbon to symbolize Breast Cancer Awareness.

    The names encircled in the hearts are those of her two children. I placed the heart and key below to symbolize their love for their mother. The roses above is a reflection of how much they cherished their time together before the diagnosis, and especially afterward.

    I placed the spider and web on the block in hopes that it will bring good luck and good fortune. The chain and the blue beads (at the lower left) symbolize the long and painful road that they traveled while fighting this cancer.

    The flower buds (and flowers below) are meant to represent the miracle of life, and the bare branches, the promise even though life must end it is always made a new.I would like to think that the stars are angles looking down upon the earth. Watching out for those of us left behind.


    The dragonfly, to me, is the perfect symbol of Spring, sunshine, and sweet smelling flowers. Of new life, of new beginnings, and of hope for the future. The three crystals attached to the heart below are meant to represent the love bond between Lou and her grandchildren.


    You see it here as a complete block.

    And here as it was presented, framed.
    In closing I would like to sincerely thank each and every person who kept our family in their prayers during this difficult and sad time.







    Labels: , , , ,

    19 Comments:

    Blogger Candi Harris said...

    Gerry, your block is so beautiful as is the poem and all the love that went into it. I've lost a brother and nephew inside the last 7 weeks so I understand your sorrow. Know that you and yours have been in my prayers.
    HUGZ:)
    Candi

    April 10, 2007 at 7:42 PM  
    Blogger Gerry said...

    Candi,
    Thank you so much for the sentiment and the compliment. My heart goes out to you also in your time of loss.

    April 11, 2007 at 6:50 AM  
    Blogger wilma said...

    Gerry, it is really touching how a CQ block can represent so much feeling and love for your DH's sister, this will be a wonderful memorie for her children and grandchildren.
    Hugs, WILMA

    April 11, 2007 at 11:58 AM  
    Blogger Virgi said...

    Gerry, I am very sorry for your loss.

    April 11, 2007 at 2:29 PM  
    Blogger Jo in NZ said...

    Gerry, what a beautiful and well thought out block.

    April 11, 2007 at 11:41 PM  
    Blogger Gerry said...

    Thank you so much, Virgi, Wilma, and Jo. I've come to realize just how theraputic CQ'ing really is to me :-)

    April 12, 2007 at 7:17 AM  
    Blogger Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

    I tried commenting on this the day you posted but could not get blogger to cooperate!

    That is the most beautiful thoughtful thing that I have ever seen. Do you realize how much comfort that will bring to her family?

    You are so talented and so kind hearted.

    April 12, 2007 at 9:36 AM  
    Blogger Maddie Can Fly said...

    Beautiful block -- not just the workmanship, but all the heart-felt symbolism that went into it.

    April 12, 2007 at 2:19 PM  
    Blogger Cat said...

    I'm sorry to hear this news of your Sis-in-law!

    You made a treasure that will help to heal the broken hearts left behind. Just awesome. Lou must be looking down with a smile at it!

    April 12, 2007 at 5:22 PM  
    Blogger Gerry said...

    Mindy, Lesa and Cat thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and visit. I'm hoping that this block will help to brighten her sorrowful days.

    April 13, 2007 at 6:56 AM  
    Blogger Ati. Norway. said...

    Gerry, i can't say more than the others did before me, it is a lovely thought, your niece have something to treasure.

    April 14, 2007 at 9:43 AM  
    Blogger Lisa said...

    Gerry that is a beautiful block and a wonderful gift for your niece, I'm very sorry for you and your families loss.

    I have just lost my uncle 2 weeks ago to cancer and my mum has only this week had an operation because of cancer, I just hope and pray that one day they will find a cure for all cancers.

    April 14, 2007 at 11:22 PM  
    Blogger Gerry said...

    Ati, it's nice to see you visiting! Thanks for taking the time.

    Lisa, my sympathies to you and your family also. Best wishes to you mum, and hoping for a quick and full recovery.

    April 15, 2007 at 10:45 AM  
    Blogger Pat Winter said...

    Gerry, I'm sorry I had no idea you had a loss in the family. I lost my BIL last three weeks ago, so I know you are grieving. Your gift is beautiful and made me tear up. I love that poem. You did a great job. Take care and hang in there.

    April 16, 2007 at 8:31 AM  
    Blogger Gerry said...

    My sympathies to you and your family also, Pat.

    April 16, 2007 at 9:18 AM  
    Blogger Faye Dianne said...

    What a lovely, very special piece of work. I'm sure it will be treasured by your SIL's family. Do hope you all are starting to coup a little better without her. It's a very sad time...
    Luv - Faye

    April 21, 2007 at 4:18 AM  
    Blogger Gerry said...

    Thank you Faye for taking the time to stop by, read, and comment. I appreciate your words of comfort. Best to you also!

    April 21, 2007 at 6:49 AM  
    Blogger Clothmatters said...

    What a beautiful and sentimental gift to give to your niece.

    April 21, 2007 at 9:30 AM  
    Blogger JK said...

    Gerry, I just found out that you have lost a loved one. Hon, I am so very sorry, and my heart, sympathy and prayers go out to you and your family. What you have done is simply beautiful and will be a treasured keepsake for all time.

    Take care of yourself okay?

    April 24, 2007 at 12:38 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home