25 April 2007

In The Works (and Stuff)

I decided to do something for my 9 year-old (second) nieces in Nebraska. They are fraternal (not identical) twins. They are very cute, polite, and fun girls. Anyway, this is what I made for them....POSTCARDS! My first attempts at them. I had to chuckle because the same day that I finished the first postcard, I received my wonderful little postcard from Jeri.








I had originally intend to serge the outer edges but my serger became possessed by the "ruin your work GODS" and damn near ate my blocks. I'll have to over-haul that thing later. I'm still not talking to it.

Anyway, all that's left to do is to finish sewing the edging around the second postcard, find some of those blasted clear plastic protector/mailer duhickies, and get them sent out. Did you notice my 'signature' spider? I need to perfect the embroidered version of it.




I've also been toying around with some girly, dress-up type quilt blocks. I'm not sure if I like them or not. Maybe they will grow on me before I decide to yank off the good stuff and chuck them out. Time will tell, I suppose.

I bought another crafting book at JoAnn's last week, and some patterns. All McCall's for a buck. I also bought more fabric. I probably won't use in my lifetime but it was soooooo cute. I swear it was calling to me. I need to start wearing earplugs when I go there. It's getting really difficult to find a place to stash it all. My collection certainly gives "stash" a whole new meaning. LOL.


Oh well. It was a HUGE sale. You know, the kind you just can't pass up. I got the book for $5 and is very cool. There's a little bit of everything in there. I also couldn't pass up on discounted fat quarters or fabrics for $1 per yard. I didn't take photos of them but I bought 9 remnant pieces of silkies for crazy quilting. Most are near a yard and at 70% off! Brocades, silks, wovens, etc. NICE, NICE, NICE. Here are a few of the others I picked up though. The Asian fabrics are fat quarters.


















This last fabric I picked up awhile back. I thought it would be fun to have. Maybe for a spring or garden themed block. Or something!?!?!?












As alway, Happy Needling!

8 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I want to come to your house and visit!

*snickers* I love the doll without arms.

Gerry said...

You are welcome ANYTIME! But be sure to bring your moo to stand in my front yard. I couldn't pass up an opportunity to poke fun at the HOA. LOL.

Yes, she certainly makes a statement!

Anonymous said...

Hey you. Thanks for the comment on my bag! I love wider straps as I have issues with them digging in too.
Love your corset block. I own several less fancy real corsets, you see! Perhaps I'll make a CQ/Embroidered one one day....

Elizabet (Can't sign in as at work!)

Maddie Can Fly said...

Love the postcards! And as far as "spring" blocks -- hmm, maybe a Spring Fling block swap On CQForNewbies (hint hint -- LOL)

Susan said...

The postcards are fabulous - definitely encrusted! I love your fabric collection. Maybe there's an "I spy" in your future!

Candi's goodies are wonderful. She is the most generous person!

Ati said...

Beautiful postcards! You didn't send it without an envelope,didn't you?
They are so nice embellished.
What a surprise for your nieses.

Gerry said...

Hi Ati. It was actually your postcards and ATC's that inspired me. I was hesitant to work on such a small surface but it was very easy. I liked it! I did mail them as postcards BUT I put them in a zip up baggie (postcard size) and covered the front of them with bubble wrap and a note. That way when the note and bubble wrap is removed, they get to see their gifts.

Sandie said...

Hey Gerry, I had a wonderful time reading your blog today and catching up with all the news and creations. I had a giggle at finding my piglet on here, she is adorable but is trying to show who is 'boss' at the moment - what a funny creature. Your creations are so inspiring, love everything!