20 June 2007

Mom Came with Gifts

I was really happy when mom showed up with a bag of goodies for me. Well, teacups actually. I have most of my grandmother's collections, some from my MIL, and some miscellaneous pieces that I've acquired. I must admit that I have a pretty nice little collection. And since I know you can't wait to see it....here it is, starting with the 5 mom brought.



I just love the funky little handles and single flowers inside of them. The next bunch are part of my existing collection.


I just love glass and china. Leaded, etched crystal, etc. I was able, through some e-Bay buys to put together a 22+ piece place setting of my grandmother's china pattern (Rosebud). It was actually a 1950's grocery story promotional item. Remember those? Anyway, when I started reassembling the set I only had a few salad plates, a gravy boat, and lots of cups and saucers.

Believe it or not, it's fairly difficult to find. So, when I see it....I buy it! Especially the large serving trays, gravy boats, and cream and sugar bowls. My favorite piece in this set is the covered casserole dish. They are beyond rare! I have never found another one. The dimensions of the platter are 18 x 14. It's huge! The casserole dish is near 2 quarts.



The pink set are from the 1920's. The round, gold laced set are from the 1930's (for as much as I could find out), and the gold trimmed set, from the 1940's. Don't you just love that covered dish????


This set is from the 1970's. It's Bavarian but was also part of a grocery store promotion. Again, with the covered dishes and matching serving platters. The largest one is a soup tureen. It stands about 14" tall and holds 3+ quarts. The smaller is a casserole/veggie dish. The platter is about 14" long. And isn't this just the cutest coffee service? I might have to put on a cutesy summer dress and have tea today.


And finally, miscellaneous glasses. I didn't feel like digging out the green glass, so I'll save that for another day. Also, I have very little Depression glass. This photo is of my favorite pieces. The etching in the tray is to die for! The compote is a truly lovely piece and is approximately 11" across. Next is maybe my favorite. The AMBER. Or carnival glass. I have the Louise patterned pieces. Just look at the detail on the bowl (approximately 12" across). I love the rose in the center. The end photo is of a smaller plate and bowl. Garnish size, I guess. The plate is about 6" across.



Oh, where do I keep all this stuff???? Well, some of it goes in here. The rest is tucked away in cupboards and closets. Awe, such a pity. LOL.


Well, I'm off to do 'chores' that just won't do themselves. Thanks for joining me. I had fun doing 'girly stuff' for a change!

9 comments:

allie aller said...

Gosh I love that stuff, too!
Seems like you could get some wonderful crazy quilt motifs from the flowers inside those teacups...

Lil said...

Can I adopt your mom? They are all gorgeous!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Beautiful collection! Bit of a glassware collector myself. I think my favorite of the china is the first cup and saucer. Isn't it amazing how these fragile things have made it to now? And that amber bowl is so beautiful - it looks so delicate!

Ati said...

I will put on my fancy dress and enjoy you for a cup of tea :)
What a lovely collection of teacups and china ! beautiful.

Renea said...

I love this stuff! I have teacups from both of my grandmothers, and a great grandmother. I have the teacup my great grandmother brought from Holland.

I have huge collection of crystal I use for the holidays. I look for goblets and ornate tatting shuttles.

You have a great collection of glass.

Renea

Gerry said...

Oh my goodness, look at all of you 'closet' glass collectors. LOL. Thanks for much for the comments. Maybe you would post some of your lovely pieces, too!!!!

Clothmatters said...

Your tea cup collection is absolutely beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerry, love your tea cups and saucers and bits and pieces of china wear and glass. I am also a collector of such..... and adore looking at others collections.

Gerry said...

Look at all of you out there. Let's get some of your goodies posted on blogs!