26 June 2007

My Studio MeMe

A few days ago I received this challenge in an email from Candi: "Ok Gerry, your turn. You've been tagged to show pic's of your sewing room and where you do all your beautiful work!
HUGZ:)
Candi"

Well today I rounded up some fresh batteries and here it is. Unfortunately it doesn't really look too much different than it did a few months ago when I was going to clean it up. WHY???? Because I never really got around to it!

My studio/work area/craft room/whatever is located in a 13' x 15' spare bedroom with a HUGE walk-in closet on the back yard side of our house. It's directly over the kitchen area and overlooking the garage. I actually like being in this room because I can look out my window and watch for DH to come home from work. When I see him pull in I can run lickity split down the stairs, meet him in the kitchen and pretend that I'm doing something.

Another couple of bonus features are that I can also look into the library (homework area) while I'm working and keep an eye on DS's progress (or goofing off at times). I can also easily look out to the front door. So if someone comes to I get to decide if I should answer it or ignore it. And finally, I have a bathroom just a few feet away. Awe, all the comforts of "home" in my little corner of the world. LOL.

Anyway here's the tour.

Starting on the west wall (entrance to the right) and moving counter clockwise. This is where I spend entirely too much of my time. Like now, for instance! I have 2 printers; the larger one is my favorite because copy quality is better and I do a lot of printing on fabric. The other is great for scanning and general paper printing. That's my cutting table in the foreground, and doggie toys on the floor. As a rule of thumb you can tell how bored Fritz is by how many toys I have laying in here. Today I only have 5 of 9.



On the south wall is my machine quilting frame, complete with sewing machine. I obviously haven't used it lately because it's cluttered up with fabric, misc. projects and well, junk! This BTW was a put it together yourself project. I took several hours and had about a gazillion pieces. I dread the day I have to take it apart. And even worse, putting it back together again (YIKES)!


Against the east wall are my sewing tables. Sewing machine on one side, serger on the other, iron on the end, and 'important stuff' in the middle.


Also on the east wall is a bookcase that I use for not only books, but magazines, misc. patterns (self designed), quilt templates, a pasta machine, extra iron, misc. projects, yada, yada, yada. It really is organized chaos! If you click on the photo you will get a better view of the little doll face hanging on my magazine holder. That was a gift from my good friend Kat. She sent a huge box of goodies one day, just out of the blue. She's an incredibly talented doll maker. So naturally the box contained doll stuff, beads, books, CD's on doll making, etc. It was a wonderful, wonderful gift to receive.


On the north wall is where I keep my design wall (behind the quilt rack), my bins of paper crafting and clay molds and supplies, my bins of small fancy fabric pieces, and other misc. important and totally useless stuff.

I would like to point out that cute little wall quilt hanging on the quilt rack. That was a thank you gift from Susan. It just arrived in the mail one day. Totally unexpected but thoroughly appreciated. It's darling! She has hand appliqued all of the little feature objects and even designed the snowman. (click here to see the whole quilt).


Okay, now for storage....this is a walk-in closet in which I have managed to get four 3' x 5' shelves into. Luckily, I have shelves above too. Did I tell you that I have a knack for spacial relations? Well, I DO!!! Anyway, this is where the majority of my cotton fabrics and brocades are stored along with my beads, charms, laces, ribbons, yarns, threads, patterns (store bought), and of course....lots of other "important stuff!" Stuff I might actually use in my life time. LOL.



And finally, this is my over-flow closet. It holds things like stencils, zippers, seasonal fabrics, wicker baskets (in the big box, too), frames for finished CQ's, hand quilting frame, yada, yada, yada. Okay let's say it together...."and other important stuff!" And the only thing I didn't show is a 5' x 15 yard roll of batting that's in another closet.


Well that's it. Now all I have to do is decide if I'm going to tag someone else. It wasn't a requirement, so I'll think on it. Bye for now :-)

13 comments:

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Wonderful space, Gerry! And so well organized - if you didn't organize back then, you didn't need to. You should've shared some of your spacial relation ideas while you were here. 'Course there should be some space to work with, hu?

Gerry said...

You have a great working space. You also have something I truly need (and want)...an area in my main living area with enough light and a comfortable chair to lounge in while I stitch.

I get feeling pretty couped up in here sometimes!

Thelma said...

Loved sharing your studio Gerry. Wow at the bolts of fabric you have. (vbg)

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

OMG...I would kill for space like that! So nice and so organized!

And I am dying for those fabrics!

*snickers* Love how you can see him come home and run to some where else in the house.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

You have a great set up for quilting. I like your fabric hung up. I think If I tried that I'd have closets poles hung with fabric all over my house. Yours looks very neat and tidy.

Jane said...

Gerry! You have the space for a queen! Its fab and you sure must love the closets. I had to laugh when you said you look for hubby to come home. I have been known to "stage" busyness myself LOL..
Jane

Gerry said...

Hello Thelma, Mindy, Julie and Jane. Thanks so much for stopping by. I do love the space but with my shopping habits I might just need more. LOL.

Cat said...

You are organized girl!! Wanna come organized my area?

Maddie Can Fly said...

I envy you your big room. I'm trapped in a 10x10. I was going to show my room, but I never had time to get the pics up (but I do have time to read your blog (LOL)).

Susan said...

Great spaces, nicely arranged. Sell your house to a quilter, and leave that frame as an inducement. Then buy yourself something that is easier to assemble. =)

When I saw the two trapezoid tables (trap tables, as teachers call them) it reminded me of school. =)

Anonymous said...

Gerry, I could get lost in your craft room! OMG ........... I could have fun going through all your stash, oogling at it all too! LOL :-)

Gerry said...

Hi ladies, thanks for popping in. Thanks also for helping realize that I DO have a great space. I guess I just took it for granted.

Anonymous said...

Great studio!