09 April 2008

Some of My Favorite Books

I spent some time lately getting reacquainted with my books, magazines, and newsletters. I get so busy just stuffing them on to the shelf that I forget to go back and look through them. Today I decided to give them some recognition. LOL.

As I am going back through them, I have to wonder how I missed the crazy quilts in them. Until 2 years ago, crazy quilting was an unknown term to me. Yet, now I see them everywhere. Weird, huh??????

Anyway, these are the magazines that I currently subscribe to. I love these because they come about every other month, have great new and interesting projects, and wonderful patterns.



I picked this book up a while back in a close out rack at JoAnn's. It is a fantastic book. It has a little bit of everything in it. There are lots of photos, detailed instructions, and some really, really great ideas.



I've gotten a lot of use out of these first 2 books. They were invaluable in the beginning of CQ'ing for me and I still pull them off of the shelf regularly. I love them!!!!! The third book, The Crazy Quilt Handbook (2nd Ed) by Judith Baker Montano is the newest to my collection. It's just amazing! Each project has such clear and complete instructions and the illustrations are stunning. You will notice that I have a number of her books.



These books were all ebay finds. I got really lucky with these because even though they are all on SRE (Silk Ribbon Embroidery), they are all completely different in their style and projects. I've found it very helpful to have the variety.



These are not only wonderfully useful and helpful books, they are a great size. So easy to tuck into a bag and go. I've about worn out the Elegant Stitches book. LOL. I just got the Silk Ribbon Embroidery Bible the other day. I'm still thumbing through it. My goodness, I hardly know which project to start!



These are older books that were given to me be a friend a while back. She found them (and others) at garages sales for practically nothing. Obviously, some people just don't understand the value of books. Too bad for them.....but GREAT for me!

The first book is a real treasure. It is divided up in sections according to the 'period' of quilts. It's so cool to see what was being made in the 1800's; the color choices, patterns, etc. Very cool!



This first book is truly for the weekend quilter. The projects are quick, easy, and practical to start and finish in a short period of time. This too is an older book but the patterns are timeless.

The middle book has a wonderful collection of Pink Ribbon projects. Not only sane and crazy quilted but also lots of appliques, patterns, ideas, and instructions. Great, Great book.

The last one is probably the book that I am least familiar with. I bought it when I got my machine quilting frame. The book itself is a terrific resource. Easy to read and understand. My unfamiliarity with it comes from my not taking the time to put it to practical use. In fact, my quilting frame is in storage right now. Oh well.....




And please, if you have a just "CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT" book to share, leave me a comment. I would love to see it.

Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

4 comments:

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Just had to pop in for a minute to see what you're up to. Thanks for sharing your books with us. I have been tempted by the quilting bug - who knows why? I bought a book at the school's book fair yesterday loaded with pretty pictures, patterns, and proceeds going to Susan G Komen. Can't even tell you the name of it... It looks like the Weekend Quilter may be a good option for a newbie, too.

Miss ya!

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I guess that's why I opt for the library. Too often there's only one particular thing of interest to me and the book would then suffer on a shelf.

Gerry said...

Hi Charlene!!! Thanks for popping in. You'll have to let me know if you take on a sane quilt, and also the name of the book.

Carol, I too love the library. It's such a great place to get 'free' stuff to work with.

Susan said...

I love the Silk Ribbon Bible! I got it from a friend who had two copies (of an expensive book!), and it's about the only SRE book I use. I have Mantano's but I rarely even open it. It was a waste of money for me, but I did get it used, so not too bad. =)

You have a great collection going there!