25 May 2008

Arizona Get-Away

This little get-away couldn't have come at a better time. DH and I have been pretty much house bound for months. He's been working for a seed testing company in Longmont, Colorado since the first of the year, but is working out of the house (in Texas) until we get the house sold.

Luckily, we both have our own computers and separate rooms to work in. Otherwise we might even have conversation during the day. LOL.



Anyway, DH was invited to give a talk in Arizona and it provided the perfect opportunity to spend a few days away from computers, telephones, and looking at a For Sale sign in the front yard.

I took off early to spend a couple of days with my mom and met up with DH later in the week, where we drove from the Phoenix area to a little place up north called Carefree. Nice little place, sort of tucked away in the desert. Calm, relaxing, friendly.

Mom and I spent most of our time shopping, checking out the area, having lunch, and getting to know her cats. We went to two of my DB's softball games and had a riot sitting in the 'stands' and laughing about just stupid stuff. Too bad I forgot that I had my camera up until that point. DUH!!!! Kind of looks like he's playing on a prison league. LOL. Nope....it's a church league.



This trip also allowed for celebrating a late Mother's day (for mom, DSIL, and me), as well as for my DB's (belated) and my niece's (up-coming) birthdays. WOW, how's that for taking care of business? I like when that happens. LOL. And get this.....temps in the 70-80 range for the entire trip! WOW-that's way not the norm for this time of year.

It happens that DH is old friends and colleagues of the conference's sponsor, and business owner, Barry. The conference was organized to be not just business, but pleasure. A retreat, which it was. One day of work with two days of play! There were lots of other wives, a couple of kiddos, and a really great time. There was a welcome reception the day of check-in, a real ho-down type BBQ with everything you can imagine (even a singing cowboy), and the accommodations were wonderful!!!!

This is the 'room' that we stayed in. It was just gorgeous, and huge! I think around 1,000 square feet. With a full kitchen, dining and living rooms, 2 full bathrooms, a large terrace, and incredible views. A far cry from the "Bates" type motels DH and I have stayed in on motorcycle trips. LOL.




These photos were taken in Carefree. It's a really neat little place to spend the day. I kept finding the perfect place to live over and over again.



On Friday we drove to Jerome and then to Prescott.



Both towns were very fascinating in their appearance, history, and sights. In case you didn't know (and I didn't), Jerome is built in to the side of a mountain. It's awesome....and very, very steep. I don't think I've ever seen or walked up so many stairs before. Anyway, here are the photos from Jerome. The buildings date back to the late 1800's and early 1900's. The bar on the corner still operates as a hotel upstairs. Most of the other buildings are now antique shops, eateries, and the such. I took some "just for fun" photos which I'll post at the end. Be sure to check out all of the stairs in the right hand photo. I don't think that would work for me every day.



The huge building on the hill is said to now be a private residence, converted from the Grand Hotel. And again, I found the house of my dreams in this Victorian, although I don't know why someone would have built in at the intersection of 5 fault lines. Who knows???? But that's where they also built the fire station - DUH!!!!



On to Prescott (pronounced Press Cut).....But first we have to go here:



Prescott is famous for its Whiskey Row among other things. Apparently, it was originally a mining town that burnt nearly to the ground, became a ghost town and then was revitalized. I hear that the burning was caused by a candle. Luckily, the towns people were able to save the booze and get it safely to the park where they got drunk and watched the town burn down. LOL.

Now, it is a cutesy, pricey little tourist town with a few remaining bars, little shoppes, eateries, and a really pretty City Park in the center of the main square.




And of course, more Victorians! How will I ever choose? LOL.




On the way back to our room we stopped in Cave Creek, which is just outside of Carefree. It's also just a small little place that is a lot of fun to spend time. This is a little shopping village that we stopped in. As you can see it comes complete with its own covered wagon, dirt streets, livestock, and a cemetery. We got some great 'had to have it' items here. And later that night came back with 'the group' to have dinner at Cartwright's. It was the perfect way to round out the day!



These photos are just things that I found fun and interesting along the way....



Finally we called it a night and headed back to Phoenix in the morning. (Sunset photos taken from our terrace)



We wrapped up our trip by having a BBQ at my DB's and DSIL's house. They have three very energetic little girls. I don't know if I could take the commotion day in and day out but I truly love my nieces!!!!



My DB makes some mean BBQ ribs, of which we all ate too many. I so look forward to these get togethers. It's just so when because everyone pitches in, to get the cooking and cleaning done, while visiting and joking. And some of us get the tough jobs like being on camera duty. LOL.



After dinner there was a little time to relax before he headed back to the airport.



Luckily the flight was nearly empty (I tell ya, we were batting a 1000!!!) and almost no traffic going home. We got Fritter-Boo (aka Fritz) picked up from the Kennel on Sunday, and all settled in to work the crossword puzzle before starting our week.



Thanks for sharing our adventure with us.

Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

3 comments:

Cat said...

Sounds like an awesome vacation! Thanks for sharing all the photos and the history! I like the part about the town saving the booze while the place burned down!

Looks like that would be a fun route on motorcycles too - if the weather would stay those delightful degrees!

Hi to your DH and Fritz too!

Judy S. said...

Sounds like a great getaway! Isn't it crazy how you can look into second story windows from that winding road through Jerome? You didn't mention any fabric shops...find any?

Gerry said...

It would be a great motorcycle trip! And I didn't even notice you could see in windows. LOL. Also, no fabric shops this trip.