14 June 2008

Ceviche

Well, I'm back! I bet you missed me.....like a tooth-ache, huh????

I'm actually cooking and cleaning today. No, no....it's true!!!! I'm making Ceviche for dinner. Kind of a pre-Father's Day celebration. When I asked DH what he would like for Father's Day, he started naming off a number of different meals. I guess he noticed that all I've been making for dinner lately was reservations. LOL.

Tomorrow morning I will surprise him with pancakes for breakfast and then steaks for the barby tomorrow night. That should appease him for awhile.

What's this I see???? Question marks floating around out there wondering what is Ceviche (Sev E Chay)? Well, here's my recipe. Maybe you'll try it out yourselves.

Ingredients and Instructions


Step 1:
1 pound lean white fish (I prefer Orange Roughy), diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (approximately 2 lemons)
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (approximately 3 limes)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Using a medium sized bowl mix ingredients well. Pour mixture into a flat (approximately 8" by 8") glass or plastic dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Step 2:
Remove dish from refrigerator and drain juice completely. Add the following and mix well. (Remember to be gentle with the fish)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small crushed garlic clove
1/2 pound boiled and chilled shrimp, cut into bite sized pieces

Step 3:
1 medium tomato finely chopped
1/2 medium onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon vinegar (cider or white)
1 small can (approximately 2 oz.) mild to medium diced green chilies OR 2 tablespoons mild to medium salsa
1/2 bunch cilantro finely chopped

Add to seafood mixture, stir well and refrigerate for 8 hours OR overnight. Note that the citric acid 'cooks' the fish so no heat is necessary. And as such, this dish should not be saved or used for left overs because the fish and shrimp will become over-cooked and very tough.

To serve, shred a small amount of lettuce and place in the bottom of a large wine or martini glass or even a dessert type dish. Spoon Ceviche (including juice) over the lettuce and garnish with cubed/sliced avocado. Alternatively, Ceviche can be served 'dip' style using less of the juice. Serve tortilla chips or crackers on the side. Makes about 4 cups or 8 appetizer/salad servings.


Please be sure to let me know if you try it and also how you liked it~



Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!



3 comments:

Judy S. said...

This sounds pretty tasty, but my DH is allergic to fish unfortunately. Love your ATCs; I'd say your partners scored! Lucky them!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Sounds lovely! Maybe one day...

Anonymous said...

Bonjour de Paris.
Michèle