03 October 2008

Catching Up - A Little

September has been maybe the most busy month we have ever had. The STS-Summer swap wrapped up, we went to our first (and second) community event, I attended the first quilt retreat ever, we had our first house guest in our new home, I made a wedding book cover for a friend, we had an open house, and we bought an SUV. Gosh, how's that for a month full? I've taken so many photos that I'm finding the sorting, tweaking, and naming to be just a bit over-whelming. And I'm sure it will take a couple of posts to cover it all.

Let's start here:

The STS-Summer block share has officially come to a close. The final 2 blocks go out in the mail to their homes tomorrow. Sharon G, bless her heart, suffered a devastating blow with the death of her mother recently. And she wasn't able to finish working on her partner's block. So, I asked her to send it to me to finish. And this is what I did with it.









I forgot my camera for the first community event which was a street fair downtown. It was very cool seeing the merchants out on the street, people milling around trying a sample of this and a sample of that. Kids running wild, playing, getting their faces painted and enjoying the blowup playgrounds. Adults saying hello to one another, having a glass of wine or a beer, and enjoying their community.

The second event that we attended was the Longmont Oktoberfest. Each day there were different bands playing throughout the day and into the night. Beer booths and wine tasting, people setting up their lawn chairs and settling in for the concerts, kids frolicking, the mouth-watering smells from the many booths, and of course, local artists and crafts persons selling their wares.





(That's my DH being a bystander)


I picked up these little goodies there and later gave them as hostess gifts for our retreat. I cannot find the card for the fobs, but the fairy dust came from Magical Mischief.



Next I want to share photos of a wedding book, book cover I've been working on. I did manage to get it done today, despite the fact that the wedding was on the 13th of September. Oh well, hopefully by the end of the week it will be in its new home.









We also had an Open House, which went off without a hitch. We handed out 1/2 sheet flyers inviting friends and new neighbors to a champagne brunch. Since there was no RSVP, we just planned for 60 (and I bet we came really close). Well, with the flowers on the patio - Come On In!

The small print is a warning that Fritz barks but doesn't bite. He's a mini schnauzer and cannot help himself.

Here's a peek at the menu.........
We start off with a spinach, sausage, and cheese quiche (I made this BTW). Next the cheeses (port wine cheese ball, muenster, swiss, provolone, sharp cheddar and colby longhorn cheddar).


Then we move on to the fruits (cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, grapes, and kiwi on the side).


Now for a quick stop at the meat trays. Hmmmmm, what do we have here???? Honey ham, smoked ham, roasted turkey and roast beef. And of course, the shrimp tray just over there.........


Now, for something to help wash it all down. We took the recommendation of our local liquor store owner (LOL) and tried the Silver Cap champagne. It was wonderful. However, we seriously misjudged how much we would need. We ordered 2 cases and barley used one. Oh well, it will keep in the basement until its needed later.

It was fun to wash the dust off of my glasses, add their charms, and set them out. The card is instructions for making a mimosa. Did you know that you can make one with Cranberry juice? I didn't!

And to round off the brunch - dessert. I didn't order nearly enough eclairs but there was still plenty of other goodies. BTW, notice those croissants....I baked those. If I don't watch out, I'm going to become domestic. LOL.


Leslie and her DH came to visit us and look what she brought.....Home canned goodies!!! Don't they look just yummy???? Oh, and the beautiful table cover, too. Thank you so much, Leslie. I had to post the gift bag too because it looks like it was cross-stitched. Too funny! I like her style.


Too bad that I didn't get any other photos, though. When everyone started to arrive, it got pretty busy. It was all we could do to say, "HELLO" and try to remember names.

But I will share with you the quiche recipe I used. I didn't write down the site but if you Google "Crustless Spinach Quiche" it will come up. I did make a few modifications which you will notice if you pull up the original recipe.

First prepare:
1/2 pkg frozen spinach, cooked to remove water/moisture
1 can mushrooms, drained (can be cooked with spinach)
1/2 pound bulk sausage, cooked (scrambled), drained
1 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup diced onion



You will also need:
9 eggs
1 cup Half & Half (or heavy cream)
1/2 cup milk (any except skim)
1/4 tsp nutmeg (fresh is best)
Salt and pepper to taste



Now, preheat your oven to 350 (F) degrees

Get a 9 by 13 glass baking dish and spray lightly with Crisco (or other) spray.
Add cheddar and monterey jack cheese (on bottom)
Add spinach and mushroom mixture, and onions evenly over the cheese (second layer)
Add scrambled sausage on top



Mix together (in blender) eggs, nutmeg, half & half, milk, salt and pepper. Then pour slowly into baking dish. Sprinkle with parsley and pop into the oven.



Bake for 40-45 minutes (approximate - ovens vary). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving so that center will firm up.



Bon Appetite!!!


And lastly, for this post...We got an SUV. It was really difficult to trade in DS's Mustang - the Mustang I never wanted (go figure). Anyway, we did it. DH decided quite some time ago that he wanted a BMW X5. Therefore when it came time to shop for an SUV, he had blinders on to say the least. So, guess what we bought? A pre-owned (2005), black, BMW X5. Who could afford a new one? Did I mention that it's black? I mean really black.

You can probably guess that black would not have been my first or even my last choice. Well, that sort of set the tone for my relationship with this CAR over the past 2 weeks. I've gone from out and out hating it to actually being able to look at it in the garage. I don't drive it unless I absolutely have to.

I don't know why I dislike it so much. I just do. I don't like anything about it. (Notice that I'm not posting a photo of it either!) Which doesn't make sense because it's a really nice CAR. Maybe its too computerized. Maybe it's because I don't feel like I really had a choice. Maybe because I don't really feel like its my car. Maybe it's because its new and different. Maybe because I'm totally an ungrateful bitch. I don't know.

I'm sure that we will come to terms at some point in time. But for now, I'll just call it THE BEAST and avoid it when ever possible.


Well, I better go for now. I'm off (in THE BEAST) to get some new glasses, find a boarding kennel for Fritz, get medical records transfered, yada, yada, yada.

Take care!



Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

1 comment:

Cat said...

I don't know where I've been... and you posted a lot of posts...
but I finally found out what the BEAST was! (Whew)

:) Cat