15 December 2008

BRRRRrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!



Oh my heck, it's -12 degrees here! DH assures me that this is a "FREAK" occurrence in our area but I'm not taking much comfort in that. LOL. And neither is Fritz, the poor little guy. He doesn't even want to go out and do his business - but who can blame him. I know I'm avoiding it like the plague!



I'm really trying to muster up the nerve to go out today. I have some shopping to do and I need to get some goodies mailed off to my niece and nephew. I'm playing Santa this year because my DB has fallen on hard times. I wrote each of them a letter from Santa assuring them that he was still coming to visit them. I found the most darling images of stamps online, printed them out, cut them to size, and popped their letters into the envelopes.



Anyway, being able to shop for them and help to make Christmas this year full of good memories for them has done a WORLD of good for me too. Over the past few years I pretty much stopped shopping for everyone except Mathew. And sad but true I started sending gift certificates. Don't get me wrong - I loved to shop and wrap but I just hated having to take 1/3 of what I had to spend on someone and give it to the Post Office to get it there. And even though I AM mailing BOXES this year, I'm sending them FedEx. It's less expensive, it's quicker, and chances are better that it will get there UNDAMAGED!!!!

As for what's happening around here......



We did manage to get the tree up.....FINALLY! And the house is as decorated as it's going to get. I don't know how many years now that I've been telling myself that NEXT YEAR I'll get an earlier start. And who knows, maybe next near we really will be settled in and might have some of the boxes downstairs gone through so that we can actually find the things that we want to put out. LOL.

This year we did manage to get.... most of the Santas and Nut Crackers out,



and some of the angels. The stockings are hung and waiting,



and the dining room is ready for dinner guests.



Now all we can do around here is wait for Santa! Luckily we have Ms. Moo and the Micekins to keep us company.



It's actually been nice to take a more stress-free approach to Christmas this year. We didn't send any Christmas cards out but do plan to put together an "after the holidays" newsletter. Maybe everyone will be ready by THEN to take the time to read it.

It's also been really nice to have some extra time with friends and to participate in our community. We just wrapped up collections for a local food drive and Saturday is delivery day. We are meeting early at the Elks where volunteers will load our cars up and then we'll be off to make our deliveries to Longmont residences. I'll also including a stop at our local animal shelter. Furbabies get hungry too, you know!!!!

Well, the sun is out and I really need to try and get Fritz to venture out there. Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Your Christmas decor is lovely! Thanks for giving me a little tour of the lovely little holiday vignettes around the house! :)

Judy S. said...

Thanks, Gerry, for stopping by my blog yesterday! I'd been wondering how you were doing out there in chilly Colorado. I'll bet you're liking that big car better these days. BTW, you are way far ahead of me in the decorating department, and we didn't even move! Happy Holidays!

Cat said...

Hi Gerry, It his so great that you are able to play Santa this year for your neice & nephew!

Your decor is lovely, I really have to battle the scrouge syndrome when it comes to decorating and shopping!

Hugs, Cat

Talking Horses Arts said...

Hello, my name is Andrea and I have been looking at your blog for some time. Decided to leave a comment this time. Your house looks beautiful! I have four cats that climb up my tree, so it is bolted to the wall..lol. Other ornaments need to be out of reach, needless to say that leaves not to many options.
Being a southpaw, just wanted to touch base and thank you for sharing!Love your blog!

Andrea.

Maddie Can Fly said...

Hey girl! A merry Christmas to you and yours (just in case I don't get back here in time). Umm, those low temps are not a freak occurrence, the warmer temps are the freak (LOL).
Be glad you don't have to work and get out and drive with all the idiots like I do.

Cat said...

We have SNOW now too, and COOOOOLD.
Annie doesn't like it any more than Fritz does! Poor pups! Poor us!

Anonymous said...

Hey... Just stoppin' in to say hello and to wish you Happy Holidays. I hope you're doing well and are staying warm enough.
We've got some cold weather and some rain too. But no snow yet...
I'm certainly glad I'm not up there in Colorado... Brrrrr. Take care now, Brenda Minor

Ati said...

I must have missed this post. I love the old clocks you have there with the Santa's :)
We too have snow!

Gerry said...

My goodness! Thank you so much for stopping by. It's good to see you all. I hope that each of you had just a wonderful holiday. It's so fun to 'dress up' the house but it's really nice to put it away again! Gosh, that sounds so Scrooge like, doesn't it?????