07 February 2010

That's Entertainment

It's no secret that I'm not much of a television and movie watcher. So when I do commit the time and thought to watching one, I really hope (and expect) that it is deserving. Which leads me to the subject of this post.

DH and I finally took in a movie yesterday. Our first 'date night' in a very, very long time. And we were not disappointed. We went to see Avatar in IMAX 3D. We were a bit worried that it just wouldn't live up to the hype it's been receiving. BUT....It totally did! And even though it's a 2 1/2 hour movie, it moves so fast that we didn't notice the time. Lots of action, great story line, and a civilization you just can't help falling in love with.

And dispite the initial shock, it was sooooo worth the ticket price of $22 (gosh, when did movies get so pricey????). Of course we had to have way too much popcorn, dripping with butter (and extra salt), and a gynormous drink. What fun! BTW, you should definitely go see this movie!!!!

We also watched Coraline the other night on HBO (no commercials - bonus!). It's very 'Tim Burton like' even though he really wasn't involved in the making of it. DH and I were split on how we felt about it. I thought it was really good - albeit bizarre!

And finally to round out this post, I highly recommend Legend of the Seeker, which is on ABC on Saturday nights. Sadly, we only just discovered it in its second season. Not to fear, the first season is out on DVD!!!! I ordered it through Amazon and it should be delivered any day now.

This weekly series is based on Terry Goodkind's twelve (12) book Sword of Truth series. This is such a wonderful series because the author's presentation truly develops and defines the characters, and brings them to life. Which is after all, what a reader reads a series for!

I have an extensive list of "Books I Like" on my sidebar. Just click on the arrow and you can scroll through the drop down menu. I have serveral more books/authors that I need to add and will try to get to that shortly.

Most of the books listed are part of several book series and/or companion type books. For that reason, I highly recommend that you start at the beginning or you might very well end up lost and/or not enjoying the story or author at all.

Well, I guess that's it for now. I need to go find something to do while DH is watching the Super Bowl. Have a great week!

Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!


Gerry

9 comments:

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I too took in Coraline this weekend. I however, could take it or leave it and verge more on the leave it vote... It was far too dark for me.

As for Avatar, I'd also seen it in 3-D. AWESOME!!!

Courtney Short said...

we watched both movies.. both very good.. and Coraline had some very adult stuff in parts (of course my kids didn't seem to notice).. like one of the old ladies in pasties! My husband and I looked at each other like "what the..."

Lauri said...

Gerry
I love Legend of the Seeker. I haven't missed an episode and considering how much they prempt it here it is a slight miracle.
I read all of the Sword of Truth books last summer Now I am re reading them.
They are a great read
Lauri

Judy S. said...

You sure have been busy! Thanks for sharing your remodeling photos; your house looks really nice. I am very impressed with your window treatments; you must be happy with the results...just think of all the $ you can now spend on CQ stuff! We just saw The Young Victoria; it's great.

Gerry said...

Carol, I guess I can understand how you would consider Coraline 'dark' but I just looked at it as her fighting her own private demons. Something that I am learning about lately. And there is good that can come from that!

Courtney, Coraline did have some content I wasnt' expecting and OMG – the nearly naked old ladies just about did me in. I was ROFLMBO but poor DH was just shuddering. LOL. Probably something he didn’t really want to see :-) And what about the body on the guy upstairs? Was that just totally weird or what?!?!?!!? Too funny.

Gerry said...

Oh Lauri, I knew you had good taste!!! LOL. That’s a lot of reading to do over a summer, and I know how much free time you have – NOT! Right now I think that ABC sucks because of what they did with the Eastwick series. Oh well……….

Gerry said...

Thanks so much, Judy. The house has really come a long way since we bought it. I don’t know how much I’ll be spending on anything else because DH has asked me to quit saving us so much money. LOL. I’ll have to Google the Young Victoria, I haven’t even heard of it. I would hate to think I was missing out on a movie worth watching!

Thanks for visiting!!!

Linda Fleming said...

We've been talking about going to see Avatar but haven't gotten around to it yet. I know I couldn't sit still for 2 1/2 hours and would have to go for a walk- after the popcorn was gone and I had drank so much soda I'd have to hit the bathroom before going outside.

Gerry said...

Linda, I saw you blog post about the movie. I'm sorry that you didn't really enjoy it.