02 June 2010

Laundry Room Make-Over

Hello All! I am back again to post photos of my latest project - THE LAUNDRY ROOM. As with most of the rooms in our home, it hadn't been painted or updated in a decade. And while the room is a really large space, it was totally uninviting. Just a place to do laundry and a walkway into and out of the garage.

This photo is after our remodel last year but all we did to the laundry room was install the tile and flip the door to enter in to the room. The walls remained a seriously boring, washed out Antique White, and the doors and frames, and the trim work all looked sort of gray.



Well, all of that changed over the past week (or so). The ceiling went Cotton Fluff white and the walls went Opal Cream yellow, both eggshell finish. The doors and frames, and trim work went Cotton Fluff white in a semi-gloss.

Isn't it starting to look better already?





So, would you like to see what waits behind the door? (BTW, the curtain is a store bought panel that I tweaked, added a second hem and hung with small rod at the top and bottom of the door.)



Okay, come on in!







I knew before I even started that I was going to do something with that huge empty wall above the washer and dryer. And this is what I ended up with.



I picked up a pre-painted wooden shelf and two different unfinished trim pieces at Home Depot, along with brackets. DH and I managed to lay it out, miter the corners, nail it and glue it in just a couple of hours. Then after 2 quick coats of stain...this custom made shelf was ready to hang.







(here is a better photo of the picture)



I picked up the 'Laundry' sign awhile back at Hobby Lobby, along with the little metal dress form. I went antiquing over the weekend for a few of the other items and was lucky enough to find some great bargains. I couldn't believe my luck when I walked into Front Range Mercantile and say this little washboard. It's exactly what I was looking for. I also snatched up the antique iron, the vintage clothespins and a glass container full of vintage threads and spools.

I already had the large antique spools and the antique swivel picture frame. The other frames came from the Dollar Store, along with the tea towel that I used to make the clothespin bag. A wire coat hanger, left over fabric and a 'Family' button completed it. The pattern was too easy to make.

I made the pictures, labels and soap boxes/containers by altering online graphics in PrintMaster and printing them out then I raided my pantry for containers. I bought a cute little jar with a cork at a local thrift store then filled it with button and topped it off with a pincushion I received some time ago as a gift. And finally, I made use of some of my own sewing room goodies, like the dress form, scissors, and safety pins.

The only thing left to do is make a new cover for my ironing board. It really looks more yucky in the photo.

If you've done a laundry room make over and would like to share it, please let me know. I would love to see it and I will post a link to share with other.

Thanks for joining me and have a nice rest of the week.


Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

4 comments:

Judy S. said...

Amazing! You are so creative, Gerry.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

A nicer place to spend a bit of time! Great job!

Cat said...

Very Charming! Almost makes doing laundry not so bad I bet.

Smiles, C

FredaB said...

It turned out really nice Gerry. I can't do too much to mine as one wall is window to the yard, the other end is a 6' pantry and the washer, dryer and laundry tub take up the other wall and my son built cabinets above them. This is where a lot of my stash hides. Also a door to the yard and a door to the garage finishes off any wall space. I did hang a shoe bag behind the door to the kitchen which is always open and I stash small projects and things in the pockets. Maybe just a new coat of paint. Will take pics one day when I clan it all up.

Hugs

FredaB