10 July 2010

In Loving Memory of Our Mother

I have returned home but bring a great heaviness of heart with me. I will treasure the last few weeks I spent with her. And knowing that she is no longer in pain is a welcome relief to all of us but it helps little right now to fill the emptiness of her passing.






Patricia Elaine (Dirkson) Adams
June 18, 1943 – July 2, 2010






Pat, or Patty as she was known to most, was born in Utah at LDS hospital and grew up in the Ogden and Salt Lake areas. She was the third of four girls born to Donald Duane Dirkson and Betty Irene Martin. Her upbringing was at times chaotic and tumultuous. She attended both public and Catholic schools, moving often in her younger years. She completed the 10th grade before leaving home. She later obtained her GED certificate, with 3 children in tow.

Pat had a gypsy heart and found it difficult to stay in one place very long. From 1973-1998 Utah was primarily her home base but she had also lived in California, South Carolina and Alabama. In 2003 she moved to Arizona where she resided until her death.

She married three times and had five children. She loved her children very much and through all the rough years, she did her best to protect and provide for them. She coached little league baseball for her boys. Attended school and sporting events for her kids. In her later years she cherished the role of grandma. She loved her seven grandchildren immensely.

She also had a compassionate heart for animals. There was not a stray cat or dog she did not try to help. Her companion for 15 years was a dog named Osa. Pat found her starving, abused and nursing 11 puppies. She took her in, nursed her back to health and they formed an unbreakable bond. She felt they had walked similar paths.

Pat also loved to sew and always had some project in the works. She shared her love of sewing and crafting with her granddaughters.

Pat battled alcohol addiction and depression most of her life. Her internal struggles were difficult. But in her 50’s, with her grandchildren as her motivation, and her faith in God, she put that life aside and lived the rest of her days with a peaceful heart.

She faced her battle with pancreatic cancer with strength, dignity and courage. She endured horrible pain yet did not complain. She prayed for strength and answers, but she was never bitter. She battled her cancer for nine months and finally succumbed in the home of her son, with three of her children and her eldest grandson at her bedside.

Pat had faith in God and wasn’t scared at the end. She held on until she had her final blessing and communion. And within minutes she passed, peacefully. Her only regret was not having more time with her family. She had many visitors during the last month of her life and said her goodbyes. She admitted and accepted her mistakes, asked for forgiveness and conquered her inner demons.

Upon her death she wanted only a simple prayer service with family and close friends. And that hers and Osa’s ashes be spread together in the mountains around water.

Pat was a deeply loving woman who only sought love and kindness in this sometimes cruel world. She will be truly missed.

Rest in peace mom, we love you.





Proceeded in death by both parents:
Donald Duane Dirkson
Betty Irene Moore

Survived by her children,
Gerry, married to Gene
Donnie, married to JoAnn
Kevin
Bradley
Lyde (Jeff), married to Amy

Grandchildren,
Mathew (Gerry)
Dustin and Monique (Donnie)
Brytnye (Kevin)
Alyssa, Sydney, and Emily (Jeff)

Siblings,
Bobette
Gerry
Donna
Michael
Betsy





I’m Free
By Linda Jo Jackson

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free
I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard him call;
I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day,
To laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way;
I found that place at the close of day.
If my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared a laugh, a kiss;
Ah yes, these things, I too will miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I savored much;
Good friends, good times, a loved ones touch.
Perhaps my time seems all to brief;
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, He set me free.








Cremation services provided by
Wyman Cremation & Burial Chapel, Mesa, Arizona.

Family prayer service (in lieu of funeral services) to be held
on July 5, 2010 at Sun Valley Community Church, Gilbert, Arizona.




Until we meet again Mom, I will miss you daily.
I love you so much,
Gerry Lynn



15 comments:

Cat said...

Oh Gerry

Such a beautiful post

for a wonderful woman

I can relate

with love

and tears

XO, Cat

Judy S. said...

So sorry to hear this, Gerry. Big hugs to you and your family.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I can tell you loved her very much. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Lauri said...

Oh Gerry
I am so sorry. I was thinking about you on Thursday, wondering how you were doing.
I know how hard this is having lost my Mom years ago and my Dad in December.
Your post was a beautiful tribute to her
My Condolences
Lauri

Charlene ♥ NC said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Gerry, but really glad you got to spend some time with her before the passing. Love and hugs to you.

Momma Bear said...

Oh Gerry, My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Lesley said...

Gerry, I'm so sorry to hear your news. On Tuesday it will be 10years since my Mother died. She was 97. I still miss her every day. Time does take the worst of your grief away, and you will be able to remember all the good times. Blessings my friend

Gerry said...

Thank you ladies for your words of encouragement and sympathies.

I have responded to each of you personally and/or through your blogs.

Take care!

Ati said...

Dear Gerry,after I wrote to you about your comment on my blog I hopped over to your blog and read that you have lost your mother very recently. My deepest condolences.You have written so strong about her here.It is good to write you thoughts and feeling on paper. (or in this case your blog)
How sad! She was even younger as I am! I wish you much strenght in the coming months.((big hug)) Ati.

Wendy said...

So sorry to hear about your loss of your mom Gerry. You and your family are in my prayers. Sending a big hug to you across the miles. May God give you peace and rest in the coming weeks.

Still keeping hubby in my prayers also. Hope he is doing well.

Debbie said...

Gerry, I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. May God give you the strenght to get through your grief. Debbie (Maine)

gocrazywithme said...

A beautiful tribute to your mom, Gerry. My condolences on your loss.

FredaB said...

Dear Gerry

I just read about the loss of your Mother. She was too young to go but age doesn't seem to matter when cancer strikes.

I grieve for you and yours.

Hugs

FredaB

Cathy said...

Dear Gerry, I’m so sorry to hear about your mom’s passing. I know how hard it is, especially in these first few months; I lost my mom in 2006. We’ll miss them the rest of our lives and think of them daily. But I’m confident that we’ll see them again someday. Take care and grieve her loss, yet celebrate her life. Tender hugs, Cathy

Gerry said...

Hello Ati,
Sorry to be so long in responding. One day just seems to run into the next lately. LOL. Thank you for your condolences. It gets a little easier every day.


Thank you for your support, Debbie. I also wish you strength. I know you lost your mother not too long ago, too. Hugs!

Hello Judy,
I wanted to say, “THANK YOU” for your prayers, well wishes and hugs. It means a lot to me.

Cathy! Hey girl, it’s nice to have you come and visit. Thanks so much for your condolences and words of encouragement. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve lost your mom too. Big hugs!

Janet - my gosh, how are you???? I appreciate your sympathies. It's a tough time.

On another note....I am so looking forward to seeing you at the retreat! Take care.


Freda, you are so sweet. Thank you so much for caring.