02 August 2010

Reconnecting



I don't know why I've been hesitant to write about this but maybe subconsciously I thought I might jinx myself. So, what am I talking about? Or more precisely, who? Mathew, of course. If you've been reading my blog for very long you know that we had a terrible falling out in October of 2007. I have made many mistakes, as parents often do, and he became very hostile toward me (and my DH) for various reasons, and for no apparent reasons at all (as far as we know). But I don't think at this point that pointing fingers will serve any purpose.

Anyway, while I was in Arizona taking care of my mother in last few weeks before she passed away, Mathew drove down to see her. He was there for a week and I don't believe anything could have made his grandma more happy. He was always her 'favorite' and we all knew that he held a special place in her heart. She asked for him repeatedly while he was there. They sat for hours talking, laughing, telling stories, catching up, and loving each other.

During that time we had time also to talk, to laugh, to cry, and in the end, began the long road to recovery. I was able to accept the person he had become and he is trying to accept the parent that I needed to be.

Long story short, my heart is happy once again. And I know we have a long way to go, and that the road ahead of us will be bumpy, sometimes distant, and tentative, but the road is before us.

As for Mat, he is doing better than I ever expected that he would. He's a hard worker, dependable, and focused. He has matured into a handsome, kind, and quiet man. He is happy in his own skin and has high hopes for his future.

What more could a mother hope for? I love him so much. And I still miss him terribly. Which is, I suppose, what a mother does!


Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

13 comments:

Lauri said...

I'm so happy for you. Here's hoping for continued progress
Lauri

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

That is the most wonderful news!! I am so happy for you!

Judy S. said...

Hallelujah! That's wonderful news, Gerry.

Momma Bear said...

Gerry, what wonderful news!
a falling out with either a parent or a child is difficult. I am so happy to hear you and your son are speaking again!

Jo in NZ said...

I am so happy for your Gerry.
:)

Kathy Raker said...

Sorry about the loss of your mother but great that you had the chance to reconnect with your son. If children only knew how much parents love them even though they may have disagreements. If they could only understand we only want the best for them.

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

That is wonderful. It is good to know you have reconnected with Matt. In years to come he will cherish the picture of him and his grandma too. Lovely post my friend. Great way to start the day.
Hugs,Pat

Wendy said...

Oh Gerry, I am so happy for you and your son. May the road to the restoration of your relationship be a short one. Will keep you both lifted up in prayer. May you both find peace with each other and happiness as mother and son in the future.

Cathy said...

Oh, what wonderful news! I’m so happy for you AND MAT !!! Talk about a silver lining.... Hugs, Cathy

FredaB said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I wonder if your Mother realized at the time that was ending for her that it was a new beginning for you and your son. She would have been very happy for you as I am sure she was as unhappy about you her daughter as you were over your son.
Go slow and just let things resolve themselves.

This was a wonderful post. Always great to read things like this.

Hugs

FredaB

Wilma said...

That is wonderful news Gerry! I already hoped for it after reading your last message....
Hugs from Holland!

Gerry said...

Your kind words mean more to me than you can know. I'm hopeful that there will be progress!

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

So good to hear. Even though our children can drive us NUTS at the best of times... a parents love never wavers.

Prayers for fast recovery sent your way.