10 February 2012

On The Home Front...

DH and I have been busy with home improvements - AGAIN! Or should I say, still? Luckily, this go around instead of construction and demo, we concentrated on cleaning up the drywall dust and mess from previous projects. Trying to keep on top of the dust around here became an exercise if futility. Needless to say, I lost my sense of humor about it and the clean up began.

We had our air ducts cleaned out on a Wednesday, and the carpets shampooed on Friday. There is no doubt in my mind that this was the first time that the ducts and carpets had been cleaned in this house since it was built. Gross and disgusting doesn't even begin to describe what was hauled out of here. But it's gone now and no longer a problem!

The only thing left to do was to go room by room and clean EVERYTHING in the house. And I do mean everything! Every room, closet, drawer, cabinet, you name it. Soap and water became my best friend for three solid weeks. And in the end...we are now nearly dust free!!!!! The side bonus is that we did a major purge (of clothing and stuff) and are now a lot more stream-lined and organized.

When I finished doing my HAPPY DANCE through the house I decided it was time to tackle another couple of rooms: First, turning DH's office (an upstairs bedroom) into a library, and second, moving his office downstairs into the study.

So, while DH was out of town, I made my list and I was off to buy paint and supplies to paint those two rooms (ceilings, walls, doors, frames, and baseboards).

(DH's side of the room)

(My side of the room)

Then we turned that spare bedroom into a library. Painting the walls a grayish blue was quite the stretch for me because I'm not a blue fan! But after we got the loveseat sleeper set up, the books on the shelves, DH's beloved "Wolf Picture Collection" displayed, and a little extra color spread around I was okay with it. In fact, I actually like it!



Of course both rooms still need window treatments which will come in time. Especially since I still need to make the window treatments for the basement windows. I'm hoping to get those started next week.

I share these photos with you because I'm am so very happy that I was able to get some of my dolls out of the closet and boxes during my cleaning spurt. I love this little girly room!




Well, that's it for now. Have a great weekend and thank you so much for stopping by!

Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

2 comments:

Cathy said...

What a fun post! You obviously have a decorators touch; your new rooms look lovely. We enjoy our library, too. it is a nice indulgence for us empty-nesters! Hugs, Cathy

Gerry said...

LOL. Empty-nesting does have its advantages :-)