23 June 2009

Father's Day Outing

I hope all the dads out there had a nice Father's Day, no matter how you celebrated.

Gene and I decided to take a ride on the motorcycle. We got lucky with mostly clear skies, warmer temps, and light traffic. Strange how the bike felt almost foreign after not riding for so long. And I noticed right away that I'm going to have to toughen up my buns. After only a few hours my backside was screaming at me. LOL.

I'm hoping that we get back into the 'swing of things' and start riding more often. Gene bought his bike new in 1985 and has over 190,000 miles on it. When we first met he was an avid (almost obsessed) rider. I even rode my own bike (1983 Sportster) for a while. [But that's a story for another time.]

When we got married we chose the month of July so that we could take a two week anniversary trip yearly. And up until we moved to Texas, we did. That might not mean much until you understand that in a typical two week bike trip we would cover about 4,000 miles. Our longest day on the bike was a 750 mile straight shot to get home (in the rain and cold). Yet, in the 5 years we were in Texas we rode less than 1,000 miles TOTAL! How sad is that????

Anyway, we had a wonderful time being back on curvy roads, surrounded by open space, fresh air, clear skies, and quiet (except for the bike, of course). The only thing that could have made the day more perfect is if Mathew had been with us, or if he had even called or acknowledged Gene in some way. Especially since Gene was practically his FULL TIME dad for 10+ years. Oh well......






Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!


4 comments:

Cat said...

Yeah! I'm glad you and Gene had a fabulous ride on Father's day! It sounds wonderful! Three cheers to curvy roads!

XO, C

Cat said...

Oh, and great photos. He'll remember the love one day.

Nancy said...

Sounds like you had a great day riding :) sorry your son wasn't there to share it with you.
We used to go for good rides too!

Unknown said...

The ride sounds like fun. I don't think my back could handle that now, LOL! Thank you for entering my giveaway! Good luck to you!