11 July 2009

STS - Summer 2009

My gosh, I can't believe it's been two years since I hosted the first Season To Season (STS) block share at CQN. Time surely does fly!!!! This time around, the block share is being hosted by Lesa, co-list owner. What a sport she is. LOL. Don't get me wrong, it was really fun project but it is fairly time intensive with mailings, photos, etc.

I was more than surprised at how quickly this block came together. My muse has been on vacation for way too long. I'm thinking that she must be back home. LOL. I was also really surprised at how small an 8" square block seemed to me. I remember, not too long ago, when it would have seemed enormous. Even intimidating.

The idea here is to piece a block, work approximately one-half of it, send it to the hostess. She in turns chooses a partner for you and sends your partner's half worked block back to you. When finished, everyone gets their own, completed blocks back.

As most of you who visit regularly know, I am an encruster. So, even though some might think that this block is already finished.....I see it as having LOTS of room left for seam treatments, embellishments, and personal touches.

So, with that in mind....here is my Summer block, ready to be mailed out.



In addition to noting that the season is Summer, I have included Litha, aka Mid-summer, which is celebrated around the world and is more widely known for being associated with the Summer Solstice.



I found it a little odd that I really couldn't put my finger on what summer meant to me in terms of colors and objects. I guess it's one of those things that you just 'know' what it means until you actually have to put 'words' to it. In the end, I thought of greens, and browns, and sunshine, and bare feet or flip-flops, ice cream, and golfing (only because I see it every day - I don't golf). So, that's what I put on the block.



Because I've become interested in making cards recently, I also decided to send a little card out with my block.



This isn't normally done (I don't think), except for round robins, but I thought it would be fun to have the memento later on. Inside, I've thanked my partner for working on my block and I've asked her to tell me a little about herself and to list some of what she added to the block. I've also attached a poem (which was my inspiration for the 4 blocks that I will make) for her to read. I will also include a little something in the way of a thank you to her.

All four of the blocks will be set up the same way and put into a wall hanging (yeah right!!!!) when they are finished. They will probably end up on a dark, if not black border with the 'inspiration' poem.

Here it is:


Seasons
by K.Shaw

The cold north wind begins to blow
Lady Winter pulls up her blanket of snow
She tucks the land in nice and tight
The land then sleeps through winter's plight
******
Four several months the land will sleep
But hush my darling don't you weep
Soon...the land again will wake
Lovely flowers Mother Spring doth make
******
She sends her warm, nourishing showers
That are full of her growing powers
The snow crocus is the first to wake
From its head, winter's plight doth shake
******
At this time the fairies begin their work
And their chores they never shirk
They wake the land and paint it bright
So open your eyes and enjoy the sight!
******
The days begin to grow longer
As summer's sun grows stronger
Children play in the sprinklers stream
As summer birds sit and preen
******
Summer's end is drawing near
The fall colors will soon be here
Autumn comes with its colorful arrays
And the night begins to overtake the days
******
Then the days begin to cool
For this is Mother Nature's rule
The leaves turn red, yellow, brown and gold
As summer's days begin to grow old
******
Jack Frost prepares his paints and brush
The animals begin their harvest rush
Lady Winter again will soon be here
But don't you cry my little dear
******
For the circle of seasons you see
Are meant for the enjoyment of you and me
For Mother Nature is fair and wise
And she always creates a new surprise!


As always, I thank you for taking the time to stop by and visit.


Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!


5 comments:

Cat said...

Your block speaks SUMMER! It's great, I found the little golf club.

Great poem of the continuation of seasons... the hope of the next...

Anonymous said...

Gerry, love your summer block. Your stitching is awesome..Love, love, love the poem that your sending along with your gorgeous card...Debbie (Maine)

Unknown said...

That is absolutely beautiful! That poem is very sweet and it is so thoughtful! :)

Maddie Can Fly said...

I'm glad your muse is back home -- maybe she just didn't want to come to Colorado right off. And then with the renovation, just too noisy for her (LOL).

I like your idea of the card and the poem is certainly inspirational.

Gerry said...

I thought you might like the poem. It really spoke to me.

Thank you for your kind words about my block. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

Take care, Ladies!