11 December 2009

Exploding Box

Out of shear boredom (since I'm not decorating for Christmas this year), I decided to do something crafty. And this is what I came up with. I found a template and instructions for this little box through a Google search the other day. I didn't keep the link but you can find it under: Exploding Box, Exploding Scrapbook, etc.

The original template printed out at just under 3" square and I didn't think I could work with something that small to start with. This box ended up being just over 4" square and was still quite a challenge.

I didn't have any thin(ish) cardboard around, so I used regular card stock to make the box. Which means that it's not quite as 'stout' as it would have been otherwise. But unless someone sits on it, it will be just fine. Putting the actual card stock box together was a breeze. I didn't begin to have any issues until I began to attach the fabric to the inside of the lid. Luckily, after lots of time, effort, and a few choice words, it was done! Which made finishing the actual box part a piece of cake. LOL.

I added the gold trim inside so that it would hold a short poem and a photo. I'm not sure what else I will put in there. I'm thinking of giving this to my mom, so I'll be on the look out for things that she would like to have. Maybe I'll just leave some space for her to add her own little trinkets.

I used a piece of trim out of my crazy quilt stash for the box lid, as well as some silk flowers, beads and ribbon. I'm still searching for just the PERFECT embellishments and/or charms to finish it off. Oh....and before I forget to mention it - this is a new-sew project. I used fabric glue and Stitch Witch, a hot iron, and under a fat quarter of fabric to make this little beauty. But it did take me about 2 1/2 hours. I'm hoping to get quicker at it. LOL.

Well, I'm off to work on some of my Domestic Goddess duties (bathrooms, vacuum, etc.) before I begin making several more boxes for Christmas gifts.

BTW, if you're wondering why I'm not decorating for Christmas this year, it's because I'm doing something else!



Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

7 comments:

Shashi Nayagam said...

I love these boxes they are so cool. Yours is beautiful.

Judy S. said...

Well, worth the effort, I'd say. Did you make the rose also?

Taste it - you know you want to, at luxurycardstore.etsy.com said...

What a beautiful box, I'm sure your mother will love it. I'm making one too but I'm not sure what I'll do with it. If you would like to see some really stunning examples of exploding boxes go to this ladies blog and website. She makes some of the most gorgeous and elaborate boxes.
http://magic-boxes.blogspot.com/ and http://magic-boxes.com/

Cat said...

Oh it's beautiful! Your Mom will be delighted!

I'm not decorating for Christmas either... we'll be leaving for Chicago shortly after... and with an empty nest... I'm just not in the mood!

And what is your "something else"?
Looking forward to seeing more boxes as you finish them up!

Happy Weekend! L/C

Linda Fleming said...

I love that Stitch Witch stuff! Your box is darling even if it did cause you some frustration.

We aren't decorating this year either. Just not in the mood for it, and with the renovations still going on, I decided not to bother.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

That's a lovely piece of work there, Ms. Crafty! Hope your Christmas adventure is filled with love and peace! Love ya!

Gerry said...

Hello Shashi. I'm so flattered that you read my blog. I just adore your work. Thank you.

Judy, so good to see you! I didn't make the flowers. I got them years ago as part of a BUNCH of stuff I bought from a store going out of business. It's nice to have a use for them - FINALLY~

Hello Taste it, thanks so much for stopping by. And a BIG thank you for the other links. The boxes are just wonderful. Good luck with Windows 7...you are more brave than I am. LOL.

I swear Cat, you two just have too much fun! DH just got back from Chicago. He says that it's warmer there than here. Have a wonderful time. Huggles.

Linda, it's good to see you stop by. I chuckle about the Stitch Witch. I don't use it very often but when I do it's usually a life saver. LOL.

Greetings Miss Charlene. So nice to see your smile. Ms. Crafty, hmmmm??? I might use that. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm hoping it's not too much of an adventure. LOL.