26 April 2014

Winnie the Pooh Mini Album

My New Favorite Thing ~ Mini Albums

This was my first attempt at making a mini album and I am so very happy with the way it turned out. The baby album was a commissioned work and made for a friend and co-worker of my DH. You wouldn't guess by looking at it now but this entire project began as a pile of chipboard, cardstock, scrapbooking papers, charms, ribbon and an assortment of scrapbooking adhesives.

This mini album is based on an number of free page tutorials found on YouTube, and Kathy Orta's Build A Page Tutorial with some of my own 'experimental' additions. I chose Winnie The Pooh as the theme because I really like it, which is probably why I had the burp cloth fabric and a number of Pooh embellishments.

First I made the pages and covered them with a secondary layer of paper. Then I made the photo mats and journaling tags, using a cardstock base and papers on top. And even though the closure was an afterthought of sorts, in the end it worked out just fine.

The book itself is 7" tall by 5" wide and is made from chipboard. The pages 1/4" smaller than the covers and are secured with a hidden hinge binding system, which is attached to 2 1/2" wide spine. The photo mats are 1/4" smaller than the pockets, and the tags are very random depending on where they're placed.

The book has six 'base pages', which have all of the many, many flip up and flip out pages, as well as the extensions and other additions. I wouldn't be surprised if this little album held 60-70 (or more) photos, with journaling spots/tags on top of that. I have prepared some album blanks to complete and sell on my Etsy shop. A replica of this ablum would sale for around $120.



I added the colored ribbons before I attached the pages. And held the ribbons together with a luggage zipper pull tab that I had laying around. Luckily, it had a "B" on it, which was perfect for the new baby boy's name. Using a piece of necklace chain from my stash and some jump rings, I attached an assortment of charms to the zipper pull.

Some of the charms I had in my stash, as well as the story book charms. The remaining charms I bought from Christine at The Charm Emporium on Etsy.



The decorative papers are an assortment of several different paper collections with similar colors and geometric designs. I also used a number of different paper punches for decorative edges. The Pooh Characters are from a chipboard package of scrapbooking embellishments that I bought at Michael's. The silver metal letters came from Hobby Lobby and are self adhesive. The remaining embellishments are from various scrapbooking embellishment sets that I had in my stash.

At this point I should say that with all of the options for these pages, it's nearly impossible to photograph them in a logical order. I also didn't include photos of all of the pages, so don't feel like you're missing something. And don't forget that you can click on the photo for a larger view.

Okay, let's begin with the description...Each page has a top pocket with a photo mat, a smaller front pocket and a side pocket with a photo mat booklet (see the "Baby Boy/Eeyore" page).



Pooh's balloons are made with cardstock and a round punch, with yarn as the strings. In the next photo we have a waterfall photo add on. Each one of the photo mats lifts up and provides a spot for photos on each side. The right hand page has a corner frame added to hold a pull out photo booklet, with a flip out page attached (below).



This first photo shows the waterfall pages, some of the top pocket photo mats, and two of the photo mat books removed. The next photo is the flip out page I mentioned. This page also has a top and side pocket in addition to the two pockets shown.



The split pocket with the baby bottle, bib and rattle is also a flip out page attachment and they each hold a smaller photo mat. I added a brad and some yard between them to act as a closure for the adjacent page (with the circle cut outs and oval tags/mats) because I didn't have any magnets for closures.



And without a closure, the little whales kept getting covered up. I think they're darling!



I used this closure technique a few other times throughout the book. The flip up page with Pooh and the prayer are another flip out page, as is the one with Rabbit balancing the tea party items. Isn't he just the cutest thing?



Here is that page opened up and the right hand page with the photo mat flap lifted up. The next photo shows what's on the back side of the Rabbit. I used paper punches to make waves and added a couple of sail boats. On the other page we have a photo mat book hidden away in the photo mat flip up.



Not only do I love these little albums because they are so interactive with all of the flip out and/or flip up pages and hidden compartments, they are just FUN! I'm working on one for myself so that I can finally get my photos off of my computer and into a place where I can actually enjoy them.


Well, thanks for stopping by. I'll be back later with a post and photos of an easel card and book box that I made and gave to another dear friend.

Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

3 comments:

Judy S. said...

Looks like you've found a new hobby! It reminds me in many ways of CQ, only with paper. I'll bet the person who received this really likes it!

Renee said...

Your mini album is adorable! Entirely too cute!

Gerry said...

Good heavens, I do apologize for not responding sooner! Thank you Judy and Renee. I truly appreciate your kind words.