02 May 2013

CQI Retreat 2013

Yesterday we began taking sign ups/registration for this year's retreat. I was surprised and happy to see that there were 12 attendees signed up on the first day. And 2 that I know of waiting in the wings. Of course, there are the 'regulars' but also a number of new attendees, which makes me very happy. I have no doubt that we will have all 22 spaces filled before the deadline of June 1st.

I'm hosting the retreat this year, here in Longmont. We're working with a local hotel chain for a block of rooms at a great discount, and I will have the pleasure of hosting a few of the International visitors at my home. There is still a lot to do with regard to activities and such but for this group, and these retreats, it's mostly about friends gathering and enjoying the 'girl time' with needle and thread.

One of the activities that we all look forward to is the gift exchange/swap (fka Chinese Auction). You never know what you'll end up with, or what will be 'stolen' from you. But everyone knows that they will leave with something made or given in friendship and love.

Here are a few of the gifts that I've made over the years. A crazy quilted penguin that Debbie Q. took home and a dress form pincushion that Lauri took home.


A whimsical little box made from a cigar box and stuffed to bursting with goodies.


These are some friendship gifts (bookmarks and matchbook needle cases) that I made for each of the women attending a retreat. This type of gifty was very common before retreat attendance reached 20+ attendees. At that time we decided it made more sense to offer goody bags to each attendee with items donated by some long-time retreat goers, donations from Etsy vendors and local businesses. Although there are still those who can't resist bringing something special just because!


This is Janet (sitting next to Connie) holding a pincushion made by Gerry Krueger. I was lucky enough to bring a pink pincushion home one year. The box has a crazy quilted inlay that Janet made. This little darling resides in my studio. Janet has created a number of these types of boxes and they are gorgeous!


Cathy with a crazy quilt she took home. And a lovely crazy quilted bear made by Lauri.


Bears have sort of become Lauri's trademark. Here are a couple of the other bears she's made. I took the pink bear home the first year of our retreats and the other went to Helen in 2011.


Lauri even made a special bear after the 2010 retreat just for Hideko, and included the names of that year's attendees.


Here are a few more of the gifts given and received in the gift exchange/swap... These are some beautiful glass buttons and Kerry is holding a crazy quilted pillow.


Juli is holding a refurbished vintage rocking chair pincushion and here is a teacup pincushion made by Lauri.


These are a couple of the items made by Connie.


And a gift she received.


Sadly, I do not have a photo of the crazy quilt that Cathy gave last year. It was to die for! I also cannot seem to find the photos of the most beautiful tea cozy and needle cases that our members have made. I don't leave your lovely work out on purpose. Besides, to try and include it all would be over-whelming. LOL.

For those of you who might be thinking about joining us this year but either don't have the time, the supplies, or the courage to make something to give, it is perfectly acceptable to purchase something. Some of the purchased items at past retreats have ranged from glass buttons, to OTT lights, baskets containing assorted crazy quilting fabrics, threads, beads, charms, etc., a nice pair of scissors, pretty fabrics and silk ribbon, etc. In fact, I received a wonderful, vintage sewing box from Gerry Krueger last year. I love it and have it prominently displayed in my studio.

The whole point is just to give something that you would be THRILLED to receive yourself. Something that conveys your friendship to the women that you might only know from the Internet but have come to consider you sisters.

This is the project that I'm working on as my swap gift. And for once, I meant to take an unclear photo. I don't want anyone to be able to guess what it is. I will tell you that it is not a bear!



Well, I'm off to do some stitching and planning for the retreat. Thanks for joining me today and please be sure to check back from time to time for updates and information about what else we have planned for this year, and possibly a few more, little snippets of what we've done in the past.


Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

5 comments:

Diane said...

Great memories Gerry. Looking forward so much to this year's gathering.


melody said...

This is inspiring and exciting. Guess I better talk w/ DH and confirm!!

Gerry said...

We would love to have you join us, Melody!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

How nice that you're getting to host this year's event. I know you'll do a great job with everything, and the attendees will be delighted. Remember to have some fun yourself!!

Gerry said...

Hello Ladies -
Sorry SOOOOOOOO late (shame, shame) in responding. Retreat planning has kept me pretty busy.

I am so looking forward to seeing everyone again this year. And to making new friends.

Too bad we only get to do this once a year. But then again, maybe that's what keeps it special!