02 May 2013

Trip to Lincoln

I recently spent 10 days in Lincoln, Nebraska caring for my nieces while my brother and sister-in-law went to Hawaii. My brother is finishing up his Endodontics training and had to give a presentation there. Must be tough, huh?

Normally, they would have brought the girls here but they are still in school this time of year. I was so surprised at how much they had grown and matured since I saw them last. I also didn't fully appreciate what it takes to keep up with three active little girls - I tip my hat to my sister-in-law!

I'm also very thankful that she took the time to prepare schedule, complete with driving directions for me. Otherwise, I would have been completely lost. LOL. The girls go to different schools (one in middle school, two in elementary), they play volleyball at various locations, are on swim team, and do gymnastics. Throw in birthday parties for friends, and 'play dates', homework, and meals and well, let's just say I was exhausted by the end of the trip and more that a bit tired of being in the car!



I have to admit that I was also very impressed by the fact that the girls are so self sufficient. They get up to their own alarms in the morning, get their own breakfast, and are ready to head out the door on time. They come home from school, do their homework, gather their things for activities and get to bed on time without prompting. They remembered to feed and water their pets, including cleaning the litter box for Colby, and Alyssa was a great little helper with anything else that needed to be addressed.

(Left to Right: Alyssa, Emily, Sydney)


I picked up a nasty cold while I was there and discovered that the girls would also make great nurses. Alyssa brought me NiteQuil, Sydney turned down my bed for me, and Emily thanked me for taking her cold away and making her feel better. I miss them already!


Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

1 comment:

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Funny! Is it as amazing as "they" say how different girls are than boys? And three of them! What!! Glad you made it through that great experience - and I'm sure the parents were MOST grateful.