29 November 2008

Snow Day and Stuff

Well, I guess it was bound to happen - sooner or later. I'm not a fan of cold weather and especially not snow. But I have to admit it does make for a pretty picture from the inside looking out.

This is what things looked like yesterday from the deck.




And this is today!


I just love the look of Fritz's face. I couldn't have said it better myself! LOL. It also appears that we waited one day too long to put up Christmas lights and decorations outside. Oh well, maybe next weekend.


News on the REMODELING FRONT -

DH and I have finally decided what we will be doing with our remodel and the fun will begin at the first of the year. I think we're both really looking forward to the changes but are a little worried that we will run in to unexpected surprises. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

It is kind of funny how an idea can get out of hand, though. This all started because neither of us are fans of hard wood floors. We thought we would just replace the floor in the kitchen with tiles. One thing led to another and soon we had decided to rip out the carpet too and tile (most of) the main floor, including the laundry room. And heck, while we're at it we might as well remodel the kitchen. Of course that means new cabinets, a redesign on the island, sink and appliances, lighting, etc. Just for good measure lets take out the sliding glass door in the eating area and put in an 8' glass panel, single French door. And you just can't do all of that without painting too.

You would think that we would have let it go at that but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. We decided that should also remove the 3 round columns in the dining room so that we could play up the coffered ceiling and open up the entry area. Then it occurred to us that we should go a head and open the back of the stairs so that we could see into the kitchen. And since we're tearing out walls, why not go a head and open up the doorway to the basement stairs? And what about partially removing a wall and coat closet to open the kitchen entry way? We opted to buy a tankless water heater so that we could also move the venting in that wall and get more space. And since we'll be removing the arch in the kitchen, we might as well remove the arch at the family room. After all, the arches are an odd look to the house style and it makes perfect sense to take advantage of the tall ceilings since we're going for A MORE OPEN LOOK AND FEEL!

Over the next few weeks we need to finalize our choices on floor tiles, counter tops and back splash, appliances, lighting fixtures, paint, etc. I think the paint will be the most difficult. DH isn't quite on board with using COLOR!!!! Especially the BOLD pallets I have in mind. I'm also excited to try my hand at some faux painting and glazing techniques. I'm sure in the end it will all be fine.

Besides, I did promise to wait at least another year before tackling our bedroom and bathroom, the basements, the other bathrooms, moving the study doors, yada, yada, yada. LOL.

Well, I guess I better get downstairs and start sorting through Christmas decorations. Fingers crossed that our little family treasures survived our move.

Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!




2 comments:

Judy S. said...

Your post made me laugh, Gerry. At our house, we call it the domino effect, where one thing leads to another. That's how we ended up in Seattle....first we thought about remodeling, then buying a different house, and then why not just move somewhere else. And that's what we did....30+ years ago. Haven't done much remodeling since either. LOL

Susan said...

Isn't it funny how one thing leads to another? I wish you great luck with all your plans. That was a big change overnight. I'm with you and the dog. =)