11 February 2010

Pantipalooza Done

Wednesday I went shopping at Kohl's and found some wonderful sales. Some items up to 70% off - WOW!!! And you know me, I almost never shop without a coupon, so I took my 50% off entire purchase coupon with me. I was able to purchase several pairs of women's panties in assorted colors and sizes, several pairs of winter socks in assorted colors and sizes, and a bunch of darling, embroidered baby bibs. Next time I'll make sure I shop for children's and men's items. Also, since Borders Books was just at the end of the complex and I had another coupon (30% off) in hand, I picked up a bunch of Little Fat Learning Books.

With my shopping done, I set out to deliver my goodies to my chosen, local crisis/charity organization. This year I chose The Inn Between at 250 Kimbark Street here in Longmont. After my experience there I'm positive that I made the right choice. This center is an incredible asset to our community.

There were a number of reasons why I initially chose The Inn Between for my donation/charity but what really pulled at my heart strings was that:

1) They offer housing for men. So many shelters and organizations don't. I think that is so wrong and unfair. Men get cold, and hungry, and down on their luck too.

2) They offer housing free of charge for teenagers who for one reason or another cannot live at home, or don't have a home to live at. The only catch is that they need to attend school and further their education. They are given their own rooms with a bed, closet, small fridge and microwave. Mostly, they are given independence and security. These kids aren't forced to live on the streets, doing whatever that requires to survive. And they don't become prey before they have a chance to have a life.

3) There are a number of one, two, and three bedroom apartment units for families. It's so very important (when you are struggling in life) to keep children in a 'home setting' and environment. There is even a really nice, large playground area at the center.

4) They offer housing for extended periods of time (up to 3 years) so that people actually have time to get back on their feet. They have time to find work, daycare, schools. Those necessities that enable people to become part of a community.

Upon entering the office/reception area I met with Mike. We talked a bit, I met a number of the staff, including Donna Lovato, Executive Director, then Mike graciously offered me a tour, which I really appreciated. Googling a facility online, reading reviews, and learning about them is really only a small part of what you can learn about an organization and the good work that they do. Those are things you must do in person!

I was quite surprised by all of the common areas provided to residents. There are several really good size common bathroom facilities (bath tubs, showers, sinks, toilets) for residence in SRO (single resident occupied) units to use. The common living areas are very welcoming with comfortable furniture, televisions, card tables, etc. There are also a number of kitchens and eating areas for cooking and enjoying a meal, for those without kitchens in their units/rooms and for other functions.

I was also very taken by the fact that the staff is so friendly and informative, and that everything in the facility is so clean, neat and organized! They have done an exception job of providing a setting that really encourages and promotes social interaction, and provides a valuable sense of normalcy during difficult, transitional times in peoples lives.

During our tour I asked Mike about volunteering opportunities and he told me that they have been very fortunate to have a number of volunteers like local high school students and people in the community assist them with maintenance, cleaning, painting units, etc., at their facilities - they currently have three of them.

When we concluded our tour I left feeling so happy and fortunate to live in this community. To live in this little city. I am just overwhelmed by the generosity of our local grocery stores and citizens who donate food. To the many volunteers who are willing to give of their time and money. To the local business who sponsor and/or offer space for fund raising functions, etc.

I give a THANK YOU to Mindy for organizing this event, and for helping us to remember that there are others less fortunate, that just a little can go a long, long way, and that giving feels really good!


Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!


Gerry

6 comments:

Judy S. said...

Sounds like a great organization, Gerry. I'd say they're lucky to have your support.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

You did great! That is a wonderful place...I have never heard of anything like that on that scale.

Cat said...

Gerry, this is all wonderful. The Inn Between sounds like a great transition place to help people! Cool that you are a part of it all!
~ Cat

FredaB said...

Hi Gerry

If we could all give a hand to others in this world how wonderful it would be. We have a free clinic and food bank at our local hospital here in florida for people ages 18-65 (children and seniors have other clinics). I first heard about it through my garden club when we were asked to bring a can of something to each meeting. Well I thought we can all afford more then a can so on my own I have started filling cartons with food items. I buy whats on sale and use coupons and Walgreens has a lot of food items on sale. When I have 2 cartons full I drop them at the home of a nurse who volunteers there. She tells me when she goes in she unloads my food and some days when she leaves it is all gone. I also suggested at Christmas instead of giving each other little gifts we all spend $10.00 on food and bring it to the party. That was a lot of food.

Good to you for doing this.

Hugs

FredaB

Linda Fleming said...

What a great place! Pity not all cities have such a wonderful home and help for those facing tough times in their lives. Your generosity is so heart warming, Gerry.

Gerry said...

OMG, I can't believe how long it's taken me to respond - MY BAD!!!!

I am responding (finally) to each of you personally.