05 March 2010

Faery Wish Boxes

Today I would like to share with you these little boxes that I created as Christmas presents for three of my nieces. Luckily, I had three little girls who are just crazy about faeries and the boxes were a huge success!!!

I found a pattern online for an Exploding box and tweaked it to fit my purpose. I sized it down to make a 3" cube, made the lid lip deeper, and trimmed to compensate for the thickness of the fabric. Then taking each of my nieces' personalities into consideration, I chose fabrics, colors, added lace, charms, bobbles, and other embellishments to each box.

I also added a ribbon pull closure onto the outside of the box to make it easier to close. All those parts are a challenge for little hands. The unexpected bonus to that was that since the box didn't open flat not only did the Faery Dust stay put but it created a nice little self-contained bit of scenery and fantasy. At the end of each ribbon pull I added a charm (Dream. Hope. Believe.) for decoration and inspiration.

I created little bottles of Faery Dust by using a 1/2 dram glass bottle with a screw on cap, a few drops of Grape seed oil and some glitter. And since it's really messy stuff if it gets spilled, you will notice that when I wrote the poem I tried to make it clear that the bottle must NOT BE OPENED.
This of course was done under the guise that to do so would allow the Magick to escape. I even tried to re-enforce that warning with the little sign above the bottle. But what was the very first thing my nieces tried to do???? Oh yeah - it was opening the bottle. But seriously, what did I expect? LOL .

And finally, I also tried to head off any complaints of, "My wish didn't come true!" by adding the, "meant for you" caveat. Ya gotta think ahead with kids! Here is the poem:


I am your Faery
And believe you must
When making a wish
With your Faery dust.

You can shake if you like
But leave the cap on
Or the magick inside
Soon will be gone.

Now, make a wish
Then wait to see
If what you want
Is meant to be.

For not all wishes
Will come true
'Twill be only those
Which are meant for you.


I chuckle at this because my youngest niece told me that her wish had come true. That she wished for grandma to come and live with them - and she did. Boy, did I get lucky there!!!

I really think that these boxes would be a wonderful idea for items to list in my Etsy Shoppe. I also think that the concept alone lends itself to numerous possibilities, applications, and variations. Although, they would probably be most suited to teens or adults because they are made out of card stock, after all. They aren't fragile but they aren't really designed to stand up as a toy or plaything. So, as soon as I work out some of the kinks, I'll get a few made up.

As always, click on the image to enlarge it.


Well, that's it for now. Thank you for joining me. Have a wonderful weekend and Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!


Gerry

10 comments:

Lesley said...

Hi Gerry, what a lovely idea. I would have been thrilled to receive some fairy dust when I was a child. Actually, I still would lol. You do have an inventive mind. (and nimble fingers too)

Charlene ♥ NC said...

The muse is back! What great idead!

Judy S. said...

Aren't kids great? I remember watching you work on these, and what a fun way you found to use them! Cute, cute, cute. You are one special auntie.

Cat said...

You are so creative, the Faery Wish Boxes are wonderful! I can see why they were a success!! What a neat special gift.

Anonymous said...

Hello there,
What a cute idea! I have all nieces and a few young ones at that, so I have tucked the idea away! So many projects and ideas floating in my head.
Thanks so much for you kind compliments about my reno. I have just put all my sewing supplies back and enjoying the clean space. But it will not stay that way long!

Gerry said...

Good morning Lesley,

I do apologize for taking so long to reply. And I must admit that it’s shear laziness L I seem to be very preoccupied lately with household duties and ‘life’ issues.

Anyway, I agree with you some Feary dust would be nice to have. But then again I wish I could just twitch my nose to get things done. LOL. Wouldn’t that be a treat???

I think the quilt will be really nice when I get it finished. I toyed with giving it to my son for his birthday in October but I’m afraid that with the way things stand between us that he’ll throw it away. So…I’m not sure what I will do with it.

What seems to be the problem with your ATC’s? Is it time? Or motivation? Or health issues? I hope it’s not the latter.

Thanks again for stopping by! Blessings to you also and happy but late Ostara.

Gerry said...

Hey girl! How are you? I do believe that the muse is back. If not completely, at least trying to peak through. LOL.

The boxes were fun to make but far more work than I had expected. I also find that it’s getting more and more difficult to work with small things. The old fingers just don’t work so well anymore.

I popped over to your blog the other day to see what you’ve been up to. Sorry to hear that you’ve been under the weather.

Your stitching is so pretty. And I envy your temps there. We just got dumped with about a foot of snow. I’ve got to be honest, I am really getting tired of winter weather. Enough is enough!!!!

Big hugs, girlfriend.

Gerry said...

Hi Cat,
Good morning!!! The Faery boxes were a hoot to make and to give to the girls. I’m not sure my brother and sister-in-law were as thrilled, though. I just hope the caps stayed on the dust!!! Take care. Love ya!

Gerry said...

Hello Judy, yes kids are fun! Even more fun when they are someone else's. LOL.

Thanks for stopping by!

Gerry said...

Hi Peg, thanks so much for stopping by. If you get a chance to make some boxes be sure to post a photo. I would love to see them.

I envy you that you are making so much progess in your studio! I need to work on getting walls first. LOL.

Take care.