12 July 2010

Witch's Hat

Some time back I saw this post about a Witchi-poo-hat over at MamaBear's blog and I knew that I had to try my hand at it.

Since I didn't plan on making a full size, wearable hat, I used "A Mini Witch's Hat" pattern that I found HERE. But when I printed it out, it was about pincushion size and that's not what I had in mind either. In the end I opted to make the hat a little larger and just have a fun decorative item to display. The finished hat is 9 1/2 " tall by 9" across.

I did have to do some tweaking to the pattern as I was putting it together. And I chose to substitute some of the materials to suit my purposes. As such, if you decide to try your hand at making one of these lovely little hats, I would suggest doing a practice run before you actually begin your masterpiece. Do-overs can be frustrating and disappointing!

So, without further adieu.............drum roll please.............

My finished Witch's Hat -












Thanks for visiting and please be sure to let me know if you decide to make a Witch's Hat of your own. I would love to see your photos, too.



Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

10 comments:

Momma Bear said...

Gerry It's wonderful!
just perfect for the table on Halloween!
II love the date for the establishment of the BHS, i didn't even think of that.
I also love how colorful yours is, I think I was in a rather black mood last october.
great work! I love it!

Lauri said...

Love it!! Very cute. I especially like the "est 1692" part
Lauri

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

oh my gosh! I love it! You are just so talented. I do not have that kind of talent.

Judy S. said...

How cute, Gerry! What did you use around the outside rim? That hat would make for one very well-dressed witch!

FredaB said...

Gerry this is wonderful. right away I wanted to make one for me and one for my daughter. You can't keep us crazy quilters away from anything.

Hugs

FredaB

Charlene ♥ NC said...

What a great project! You might think of opening haberdashery or millinery shoppes! Speaking of, are you familiar with
http://tdiptmercantile.com/artisanpage.html ? I think of you when I go there. Hope all is well on your side!

Maddie Can Fly said...

Gorgeous Gerry! I have a pattern for a big one but have not even attempted it yet.

Gerry said...

You are all so very sweet! I had fun with this project. I would love to see your hats, if you decide to try one.

Cathy said...

This is toooo cute! You are so clever - love the Black Hat Society! And we know how you love Halloween, so I expect to see a CQ’ed witch next year, LOL! Hugs, Cathy

Gerry said...

Boy, I'm gonna have to think about that one. LOL. A CQ'd witch sounds a little complicated. How 'bout you make one first and let me borrow the pattern?

See you soon!