20 July 2010

Farmers' Market and More



This past Saturday my DH and I ventured out to the Boulder Farmers' Market and Arts & Crafts Festival. And despite it being a very, very hot day we had a great time.



The market is held in the most wonderful and convenient location, at Boulder Central Park, right in the heart of downtown. You just wouldn't expect to find such a large, lush park just off of Pearl Street. Of course, the park comes complete with a creek running through it. And on this HOT day, it's no wonder that we saw so many people tubing down it. It's been along time since I watched children play in a creek, with all of the laughter, screams, and excitement.

Yet there was such a peaceful quality to the setting. So many folks enjoying their picnics, furbabies socializing, couples walking hand in hand, and a variety of musical entertainment in the background.



Sadly, we didn't purchase any of the produce offered because of the heat and packing it around all day just didn't seem like a very good idea. Next time we know to bring a cooler with us (duh!).

We did find some fun and interesting items during our time there. And DH was sure that I would just have to have one of everything. LOL. There might have just been too many beautiful and unique items to choose from because I can home with very little in my bag. One of my favorites was this booth named The Cat & The Fiddle. I just loved how vintage spoons and other utensils, tea pots, etc., were used to make chimes, cake testers, book marks and the like.



When we were done 'window shopping' at the booths in the park we wondered across the street to the Pearl Street Mall. I love this place with its many, many specialty shops and eateries spanning for blocks along Pearl Street. The buildings have a very old-time feel and look to them and they are facing each other across a very, very wide walking area full of tent like booths/kiosks full of every imaginable form of art and other wares. The entire 'mall' feels very park like with its tall shade trees, brick streets/walks, bronze statues, play and seating areas. You will also find a wide variety of street musicians and entertainers.







(a little note here - don't forget to take a few dollar bills with you to say, "THANK YOU" to the musicians and entertainers)





BTW, how many humans does it take to hold up a unicycle?



Three of course, according to this cute little squirrel who was just hanging out near by and eating a ring of lemon.



And in case you're wondering...this was my only purchase of the day. Right after we entered the market I found this wonderful little booth selling herbs, and such and I picked up this great smudge stick. I can hardly begin to describe how wonderful the blend of herbs smell. And I have to say that for only $5 this was a steal!


It's been far too long since I last smudged my home. And considering all of the events that have taken place in my life lately, chasing away the negative energy, doing a good cleansing, being able to ground and center, and to relax is WAY over due! But more about that later.

By about 2:30 PM, DH and I were hot, tired, and hungry so we stopped here for lunch. Can you believe how many youngsters don't even know what a phone booth looks like? I would love to have one in my basement.



Just as you would expect, the interior is fixed up to look like an English Pub, complete with street signs and other things London-like. It's really quite quaint. Unfortunately my photos are too dark to post. The food was very good and reasonably priced. The service was also good and fast! And on the weekends they feature a Do It Yourself Bloody Mary Bar. How cool is that?!?!

That's all for now, folks! Have a great rest of the day.

Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Nice Blog Space. Thanks for coming to our market and for the wonderful description of your experiences at the market, surrounding places and events. It was a very hot day this past Saturday, but your flowing narrative left me feeling cool and relaxed. Well Done!
Bob
Boulder County Farmers' Markets Exec. Dir.

FredaB said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I have not been to a good craft show in awhile. recently the ones I have been to are mainly jewellery and artists. I need no more jewellery (my daughter makes a lot) and no place to hang pictures.

I remember the days when every booth had something different. We used to have some where they came from the whole midwest and they had great things.

I look forward to seeing you in Colorado in sept. Will you bring your hat?

Hugs

FredaB

Gerry said...

Thanks so much, Bob. That's quite the compliment!

Hi Frieda, it seems like the "arts and crafts" festivals are mostly jewelry sales everywhere anymore. Too bad, huh!?!?!?