06 January 2014

Saying Good-bye

For all the hopes that we had for the New Year, having to say goodbye to our dear, sweet Fritter-boo was not one of them. But alas, that's what we had to do early afternoon on Saturday, January 4th. Sadly, just 6 days before his 14th birthday.



If you've been following my blog, or have happened to read any of the many posts that Fritz was included in you know how much we loved him. And can easily imagine how heart-broken we are. I have had a mini schnauzer in my heart and by my side for over 30 years. Although, until Fritz, we didn't get to experience the full benefit or the consequences of the breed. Unfortunately, while miniature schnauzers are incredibly wonderful pets, great with kids, fierce defenders, and full of energy, they are also prone to an abundance of health related issues.



Fritz was just the sweetest, most lovable, most devoted companion we have ever had. And of course, like all schnauzers, he was very vocal! That's what made him so 'human' in his ability to communicate and express what he wanted. We were told many times that he a was people dog - not a doggy dog, meaning he truly preferred people to other dogs. He almost always traveled with us on vacations, local outings, etc. He loved to ride in the car, and he loved hotel rooms! He was fabulous with kids. He loved walks, the park and mostly, he loved to chase his tennis ball.




Fritz remained a real trooper, patient and cooperative through all of the trying times he was forced to experience. Through all of the surgeries, include the removal of an abdominal mass in May, 2013 and then his cataract surgery in July, 2013. And although he returned home a blind doggy, and required several eye drops, several times a day, he did regain most of his sight by late September, and was only mildly disgruntle about the eye drops.

When he was diagnosed with diabetes in February, 2013 DH and I were so frightened but again, true to form, he tolerated his twice a day insulin injections like a big boy. He quickly adjusted to the change in diet and feeding schedule. Over the past year, with each poking and prodding, ultrasound, seemingly endless blood panels, and treatments, he always bounced back and retained his sweet disposition.

He began having seizures in October, 2012 and while they were infrequent and mostly mild over the next year, they did take their toll on his nervous system. As the seizures became more frequent and more severe, Fritz was not as able to bounce back, and slowly we had to stand by and watch his health further decline.

Then about 3 weeks before Christmas, 2013 he had a major seizure that left him forever changed. His disposition began to change. He became more aggressive, although not mean, just not very tolerant at being touched. Which was difficult because he had already lost so much muscle mass that his hind legs were really weak and he had to be carried much of the time. And with each seizure it became even more difficult for him to get around. He was just beginning to get around a little better on his own again when the next seizure happened on New Year's day. Between New Year's day and the final seizure on the 4th, he could barely walk on his own and had to be carried up and down the stairs. He struggled to stand long enough to go pee or to poop. He didn't want to eat, and he began drinking so much water.

It was during the final seizure that afternoon that DH and I both looked at the clock, then at each other - was the vet's office still open? Was it finally time? Well, the vet was in later than normal and agreed to wait.

My poor sweet, little boy was nearly lifeless when I picked him up and we drove him to the vet's office. We held him, kissed him, told him how sorry we were that we couldn't make it better, and we put him down.

We wonder now if we should have had an MRI done to check for a brain tumor. Although, I'm not sure what we could have done about it. And I'm not sure what we would have done other than try to make him as comfortable as possible, love him completely, and wish things could have been different.

For now we just have to assume that based on the symptoms and the science that that is what finally happened, and had probably been happening since the seizures began. We painfully accept that we did everything we could to give him a good life, a good home, and that some things are just out of one's control.



We miss him so much and we feel so lost. The house seems so empty and quiet. We pick up his ashes next week and we learn to live without him.


Gerry

16 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh Gerry, I was heartbroken to read about your dear Fritz...having furbabies of my own, I can imagine the devastation of your loss...I am so very sorry that he is no longer with you in the physical...I pray that all of your lovely memories of him will help you through the hard process of grieving for him...big hugs sent your way.

Anonymous said...

My condolences on the loss of your sweet, sweet dog. Take solace in knowing that you gave top notch care and he lived much longer and with good quality of life due to you're efforts.
Barb

Susie Wolfe said...

Gerry ... I'm so sorry to read about Fritz and know you will miss him like crazy. Cherish all the precious memories and know you gave him the best life possible. I'm glad I got to meet him at the retreat in Utah .... he looked just like my Smokey. What a great boy he was!
Big hugs ... SusieW

Arlene White said...

Oh Gerry I Amos sad to read about fritz. Having two wonderful fur kiddies myself I would feel so empty without them. Sending you love and prayers.

Arlene

Lauri said...

Gerry
I am so sorry! It is such a difficult thing to deal with. You did all you could and gave him a wonderful life
Lauri

Gillie said...

I am so sorry, what a dear chap he was, sending hugs to you both.

Gerry said...

Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind words and caring sentiments.

I'm glad to know that there are so many devoted animal lovers among you.

And sad to know that so many of you have felt the same pain.

My heart goes out to you, too!

Judy S. said...

So sorry to hear about Fritz, Gerry. Sending lots of big hugs your way!

Gerry said...

Hi Judy,
Thanks for your condolences. It's a good day for a hug!

Tesla said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Gerry,
So sorry about your baby. I had the honor of playing with him a little at the retreat and he was wonderful even though he at that point could not see. I am sure he will always hold a piece of your heart.
Susan in UT

floozina said...

I am so sad for you and your family. It is the most distressing thing to have to do - make the decision to put down a beloved pet. Your Fritz had a wonderful life with people who adored him and whom he adored. Be sad, but welcome with love your new babies. They will ease the pain.

Lorraine said...

Gerry & Gene, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I have been through this myself a little over a year ago and know how you both must feel. The house will indeed seem very quiet as a presence is missing. Although an extremely heart wrenching decision to make, one many of us face at one point in time. Like you, I have my boy's ashes. I know you will find a special place in the house for him. Take care, Lorraine

Hideko Ishida said...

Gerry, I am so sorry to hear about Fritz. He was so sweet and clever. He welcomed and tried to entartain me (and Josie, all of us) when we were at your house. It's a sad news. I would like to share my deep sympathy with you. Hideko

gocrazywithme said...

Gerry, I'm so sorry you had to go through this, but you gave Fritz such a good life. And now you have two new little lives to devote your love to. Best wishes for all of you!

Gerry said...

Thank you so much, EVERYONE for your condolences and kind words. We still miss Fritz every day.

Having Chauncey and Tulo to cuddle and play with is both difficult and wonderful - missing Fritz even more yet having 2 energetic balls of fur to love.

Big hugs from all of us!