22 October 2013

Little Crazy Quilt Elephant

This is the finished project from this photo before the retreat and Lauri ended up taking her home. She was also featured in the Autumn issue of Crazy Quilt Gatherings magazine, published by Pat Winter.







All of the fabrics are quilter's quality cottons. And each seam is double stitched to minimize popping seams during/after stuffing. I added most of the seam treatments and beads prior to sewing her together. Then added additional seam treatments and beads afterward to help cover those seams.

You will notice in the bottom photos that I have a string tied around her legs. That's because she kept trying to do the splits. In the end, I removed the strings and used a transparent thread on the inside of the front and hind legs to invisibly 'tether' them together so that she would remain standing upright.

Surprisingly, from start to finish this was about a 5 day project. She stands 8" tall (including her ears) and 12" long (excluding her tail).

******EDITED******
The pattern that I used to make this cute little elephant is from Yesterday's Charm, and is called Ellie and Elwood Elephants:




Well, I better get back to editing retreat photos so that I can get those posted. Hope to be back shortly!



Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

12 comments:

Wendy said...

How adorable she is! You should be very proud of your creation!

Debbie said...

Oh Gerry, your elephant is just gorgeous! I just know my little Brandy girl would for me to make her one of those for sure...what did you use for a pattern anyway? Debbie (Maine)

Gerry said...

Thank you Wendy! Gosh, it's nice to hear from you. I hope you're doing well.

Gerry said...

Hi Debbie - my goodness, it's been a long time!!!! It's nice to hear from you, too.

I added a photo and name for the pattern I used. I would love to see yours when its done.

Judy S. said...

So cute! Lucky Laurie! Congrats on being in Pat's magazine also.

Judys Lace Creations said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Judys Lace Creations said...

Just LOVE this cute elephant.

Gerry said...

Hello Judy and Judy - thanks so much for your kind words and for coming to visit.

I do apologize for taking so long to say, THANK YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

How adorable that is, Gerry!

Gerry said...

Hi Susan,
My gosh it's been FOREVER!!! Thanks so much for stopping by to visit, and for your comment.

I hope all is well with you :-)

Yonit said...

Hi Gerry
Your elephant is fantastic!I love it with all its colors and beads!
Kisses
Yona

Rengin Yazitas said...

Your elephant looks sooo pretty, great work.
Best wishes,
Rengin