25 May 2007

Fairy Tale RR Progress

I've just finished working on Leona'a Wizard of Oz block. It was a bit of a challenge because I've never worked on a block so large. But I did have fun with it. I did more work to it than I have to some of the other blocks because I had a little more time on my hands.



I'm still working on lettering. It's getting easier. I'm still struggling with buttonhole wheels, though.



The "Wicked Witch" photo was found on the Internet, copied to fabric and then attached with ribbon, rick-rack and beads. I wish it had printed a little lighter. Oh well...



How many of you remember the hourglass from the movie? My DH and DS didn't. Obviously, this one is very basic because there was no way I was going to attempt recreating the movie prop, which had dragons for handles. I also used blue sand instead of the red from the movie. I think the mixture of threads and beads makes it look kind of cool. Fluid almost.



At the bottom of the block I added the "Somewhere over the Rainbow", and the rainbow. I chuckle because my cursive is much better than my printing. Another 'lettering' lesson. LOL. And I also know that a rainbow is made up of only 7 colors but after all this is OZ...



Well, I better go get this little beauty into an envelope and on its way. Happy Needling!

10 comments:

Susan said...

Love what you did! Checking it for inspiration. The rainbow is a good idea! Not that the others aren't, but I don't have any printer fabric right now, so I can't do that part. I love how you used bright beads to dot your eyes on the Wicked Witch of the West!

Cathy said...

I have been catching the fairy tale blocks here and there and I LOVE what you did with this one. What a fun block. The hour glass is great - and I don't remember it either....lol Great pic of the witch.

Maddie Can Fly said...

I remember the hour glass. Your work on this is GREAT -- I love all of it, especially your lettering.

Gerry said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful compliments, ladies.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

one of my all time favorite movies, and this is a grand representation! Lovely work!!

Gerry said...

Thank you! I've been tempted to sit through it again but it's sooooo long.

Clothmatters said...

Beautiful work on the Wizard of Oz block.

JK said...

Hey sweet cheeks! WOW! I love the work you did on this, and that hour glass is awesome! I know Leona is going to be thrilled with this little beauty! Beautiful work hon!

Gerry said...

I've really enjoyed the variety of stories/fairy tales/fables that have been chosen. Quite a challenge!

annetteb said...

I have loved watching this round robin progress. It's been one of my favourties. I've seen it on a few sites. I'm sure your all going to be so pleased with your end results. Cheers Annette