19 May 2007

Blogging Day!

Gosh, I miss having time to blog. So, today is my designated day to catch up. Hopefully, I won't get a hard time from blogger and I can get through it in a reasonable amount of time. LOL.

Okay....off and running (weeeeee)

Mother's Day
It was great! Even though I still did my typical "MOM" stuff like making huevos rancheros for breakfast, a pork roast for dinner, doing dishes, straightening up, yada, yada, yada, I did take some "ME" time too. I decided to dye my hair again. Up until 2 years ago I had dyed my hair some version of red for the past 20 or so years. I couldn't remember why I quit dying it. That was until I remembered that I hate to touch-up the roots. Oh well....

I also broke down and bought some nail polish. I bought 3 in fact. So....I did my finger and toe nails. Now if I could loose that extra 20 (really 25) pounds, get the extra skin removed from my eyelids, and get into better physical shape I WOULD HAVE IT MADE! LOL. Pretty tall order, though. I better go sit down and think about it. LOL.

Tomorrow DH and DS are taking me to Brennan's for a New Orleans Jazz Brunch (a late Mother's Day gift). I LOVE THIS PLACE! I can hardly wait. Here, go check out the Menu for yourself. It's such a nice place. Valet parking, champagne cocktails, Shrimp Remoulade, Eggs Benedict, Banana's Foster. YUMMY!!!!

Speaking of MOM's Day. My DH gave me the most wonderful present. A plane ticket for my mom to come and visit. I'm so excited. She has never been to our house in the 4 years we've been in Texas. And I haven't made a trip to Phoenix in 2 years. Telephone calls and email only go so far. Now, all I need to do is find some fun stuff for us to do while she's here. I don't get out much!

School is out next week. YAY!!! Monday is my last day of the year for packing a lunch in the morning. And Thursday is my last day for waking up a 16 1/2 year old who can't wake up to an alarm.

I leave for Charlotte, NC on the 30th. I am going to Nationals for the USBC (bowling). I don't expect to win any money but I am looking forward to 5 days with 'the girls.' No cooking, no cleaning, no laundry, no errands....FUN FUN FUN! If anyone reading this post has any ideas about what there is to do, see, etc., I would love to hear from you. I can't seem to get any useful information from the Internet.

Current projects. Well, there's actually only been two. First I made myself a cell phone pouch. The pattern was a no-brainer and it went together 'sew' easy. Even the lining (BONUS). I just love the way it turned out. I have room enough for a pen, ID and credit card, some cash, my phone, and a lipstick.

And I was finally able to use some of the beautiful goodies that I have received in swaps, for MEME's, etc. I have a really tough time deciding what to use since I couldn't use it all! LOL. In the end...this is what I came up with.



The back is brocade and it just shimmers. The photo really doesn't do it justice. Of course, on this particular day, none of the photos I took turned out very well. Oh well.... As for the strap, I decided just to add a place to 'clip' them on. I have a number of different straps and chains, in different lengths. I wanted some flexibility and now I have that. I also needed a place to put my keys (I only carry 2: car and house). Next I'll be working on a beaded key fob.

Second, I made Bella a little cushion for the end table that she won't stay off of. Actually, this project was DH's idea. He had to prod me for awhile but then I caved and made it for her. I've resigned myself to the fact that she is not going to stay off of that table. So, I guess if you can't change something, you can at least protect the furniture. LOL.

And the verdict is....she LOVES IT! You can't see it but there's a strap underneath that velcro's together to keep it taut on the table. And I put a little non-skip shelf liner under it so what when she sees a squirrel and bolts off of the table, she doesn't take the lamp out with her.


BTW, this is what she sees while she's resting on her cushion. There's squirrels out in them thar trees!

Okay, it's time to let her get back to relaxing. LOL.



Lastly, there are the flower beds, an unexpected visitor and a planting experiment. First are a couple of photos of flower beds. I did this as an after thought, and didn't really do a great job with getting photos of the nicer, more colorful areas of the yard. But then again the point is that the weather has been cooler. The humidity has been WAY down, and our foliage is growing nicely. My little rose bush is in full bloom and the Tea Rose that we planted recently has 2 blooms already. Gosh, I hate to think that I might start liking roses. LOL.

We lost one of our established hibiscus from last year's freeze. The other two had to be cut back nearly to the ground but they are leafing out nicely and will be blooming later on this summer. Just for good measure, we planted 4 more of them. Along with a wide variety of other plants/shrubs. As you can see the Hostas and Firebushes are huge. The Day Lillies are blooming nicely and I THINK, the Hardy Lillies will bloom again.


You can just see (if you squint) my favorite yellow tree in the left hand corner of the photo. We're not sure if we will let it reach tree status or not. Maybe just a nice, plump bush would be good. Hmmmm.
This is a Cotton-tail running out of the front yard. When I went out to get the newspaper I never expected to see this little guy. It was munching on some weeds that DH had pulled out and left on the lawn. I went in and out of the house to stare at him for 10 minutes or so. Then when I finally remembered "MY CAMERA" I barely got a snap-shot before it scurried away!


This little beauty will someday be a potato! At least that's what my DH tells me. He grew up on a farm, chose agriculture for his trade, and loves to plant and grow things around the yard. When I described my understanding of a potato plant, he laughed. I won't even offer that version to you. Anyway, this was his "SEE" how it's done to convince me that he knows what he's talking about.




Well, I think I've covered it for now. Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

Jo in NZ said...

Gerry, your cell phone pouch is just great. Feels good to make something for yourself eh? (I must try that!)lol

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Good to 'hear' from you! Your yard is so pretty! Don't you just love it? Your phone pouch is beautiful! Bella looks nice and comfy - our furbabies need comfort to, don't they? Enjoy your lunch, and especially the visit with Mom!

Rissa said...

It is good to hear from you! And the dog is just too cute for words...the garden looks really good too! :-D

Gerry said...

Hello Ladies, it's nice to see you visit! I'm loving the pouch. I borrowed the concept from Kitty and Me then tweaked it out to suit my needs.

Bella is still comfy cozy. Brunch was great! Now I'm off to check my blogroll :-)

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Beautiful cell pouch. Very nicely encrusted! Have fun bowling and good luck!!! :-)
Love your garden pics and your fur babies too!

Anonymous said...

Gerry it was wonderful to read your catch up post and the phone pouch you created is beautiful, just love it to pieces! Had a wonderful time checking your cute lil'dog out and your garden and the critters that visit.
Your DH giving you a ticket for your Mum to come and visit is soooo special, you will no doubt have a wonderful time together, no matter what you do.

JK said...

Yoo hooo.... Hey Puddleducks, what's shaking? Where you been?
Oh hon that cell phone pouch is adorable!! Where did you get the pattern for it? You do beautiful work darlin. And I love, love that little baby sitting in the window. Looks like he has just been to the hairdressers.

Gerry said...

Thank you, thank you Pat, Sandie & JK. It's fun that we still get critters in the yard. Local development has chased most of the wildlife away. That makes me sad.

I made the pattern for the pouch. It's 6 1/2" long by 5" wide and just rounded at the bottom.

My furbabies really are 'my babies.' I've always loved dogs. They make the very best friends!

Susan said...

Eclectic post! I really like the phone pouch you designed.

Have fun in Charlotte! How far is that from Gaston, did you check already? For Mary Jo's?

Gerry said...

Thanks, Susan. I'm hoping to find some fun fabric shops, craft shows, etc., while I'm there.