04 May 2007

Spring Fling Block

This block is for the Spring Fling swap with the CQN group.

(click on any of the photos for an enlarged view)


Naked block: The idea behind this swap was to create a block with the look and feel of spring. So, appropriately I added fabric in bright colors with butterflies, flowers and bumble bees. The finished size is 8" square (with unfinished edges). And we are allowed to embellish however we choose.



Center: In the center I added a garden themed siggie which you might recognize from the top of my blog. I copied the photo onto fabric, trimmed around the subject and attached it with ribbon and beads. Don't you think the bow and beads looks like a butterfly? Well, it's supposed to...

At the top of the block I added some ferns (at least they're supposed to be) and some french knots for flower buds.



Corner 1: This piece of lace came from DD. A few months ago I swapped some fabrics for some antique and vintage lace. Isn't this a beautiful piece? At the top of the motif I placed a smiling sun charm. Then glass beads around the center and a purple flower in the center. In keeping with the theme, I added flower charms along the seam above it and a butterfly off to the side.



Corner 2: I chose to add "Spring" to the block. Just for the heck of it. I've been practicing lately with lettering, so I was once again given the opportunity with this block. The bee is supposed to be the dot for the "i" and I was just in the mood for a pink spider. So, there you are!



Corner 3: This was actually a bit of an experiment in seam treatments. I had my Treasury of Crazy Quilt Stitches by Carole Samples in my lap and I just couldn't resist. I also chose to throw in some black. I think it adds a nice contrast with the white beads. Oh, and of course there is a dragonfly.



Corner 4: And finally, a button and bead trail with a bonnet, rose, ladybug, beads, and of course buttons. Below the lace I added a flip-flop charm.



And here is the finished block. Our co-list mama Lesa is hostessing this swap. And it will go out to her on Monday.











Happy Needling!

7 comments:

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Oh, so pretty...Great looking block, Gerry!

Melissa said...

Beautiful Block Gerry! It looks very "Spring"!

WIPPYSPLACE said...

wonderful craftsmenship! I think you should do another! :o) *~*CAROLE*~*

NormaH said...

Gorgeous, Gerry! How about another one or two?

Gerry said...

Thank you ladies for the nice compliment and also for stopping by. And I just might have to do another block (or 2)!

JK said...

Okay, my address is:

Beautiful work darlin, and I love all the colors! Remember my address is:

Maddie Can Fly said...

Finally got here to look at your blocks and all I can say is WOW, WOW and WOW! Fabulous job Gerri! I can't wait to see them in person.