28 February 2010

Operation Pillowcase

Boy, talk about cutting it close. I managed to get 34 pillowcases finished and mailed out by the end of February. I shouldn't have started them so late in the month because I seriously under estimated the amount of time involved.

Just venturing downstairs and locating the fabrics I wanted to use took far longer than I had expected. I also came to realize that for all the 1000's of yards of fabrics that I have, I have mostly female oriented fabrics. I also discovered that I really don't have much of anything in blue. Probably because I don't really care for blue. But it would have been nice to have just a little of it to choose from. I guess I'll have to go shopping! LOL.

So, with my tables set up and ready to go, up and down the stairs I ran, bolts and totes in hand to begin this project.



Because I already had two totes full of pre-cut fat quarters, I used those fabrics for the top borders and accent pieces. The pre-cut pieces worked out nicely because I ended up with pieces left over to use for my next project: The Haiti Hope Bags.

Anyway, after I got the pillowcase body pieces cut, it was off to the washer, dryer, and later the ironing table.


Who would have thought that it would take a full day to measure and cut the initial fabrics? Another one to launder and iron them. Another day to measure, cut, assemble and pin the three pieces together. And a final day to sew, trim and turn them??? Certainly, not me. LOL.

But after 4 very long days, and being able to admire the finished product, it didn't seem so bad. And the best part was STUFFING them into a box and mailing them off. Knowing that I was able to do something special for our military put a lump in my throat and brought tears to my eyes.

This is a close up of some of the fabrics that I used. These are some of my favorites!




Just a final note here. The conditions in Afghanistan are deplorable. Our service men and women have NOTHING. They sleep in tents, water is scarce, and they are now required to purchase their own bedding and other supplies. Anything you can do to help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Think about what you can do when you tuck yourselves into bed at night, safe and warm, with a full belly and your most prized possessions around you. Then ask yourself....who fights for me so that I can have these things?


Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

4 comments:

FredaB said...

Congratulations on making 34 pillowcases. That is great. Your fabrics were very good and I am sure the guys and gals will get a kick out of them.

I made 14 and told Deb. that I didn't want to look at another pillowcase for awhile.

I can't believe that these soldiers have to buy their own bedding. Horrible. They are being treated worse then street people.

Hugs to you

FredaB

Debbie said...

Wow Gerry, what an awesome project and what an awesome person you are for doing this! My hats off to ya! Debbie (Maine)

Cat said...

34 pillowcases! That is amazing! When you jump in you REALLY jump in! And that means 34 lives will be affected - as they will be so glad to get a unique crisp clean pillowcase over there!

Wonderful fabrics, your photos are just amazing with all the bolts and the whole production.

~Cat

Gerry said...

Hello Freda,
Good for you, pitching in to help. I'm with you on pillowcase burn out. LOL.

Thank you, Debbie. I'm so glad to see that your kids are getting their lives put back together.

Cat, you are so sweet. And I know that you spend a lot of your time doing for others, too!