25 August 2006

Some of my other projects and interests

As you can see I have varied interests. Sort of a Jack of All Trades but Master of None. Anyway, the Victorian Doll is my own design. I originally created her for use as an applique but decided to turn her 3D. Not being comfortable with drawing faces, the silhouette worked out perfectly. Seems I'm not the only one taken with her because I've actually sold two of these dolls.

Next is Ms. Mew. She was made from a pattern called Three Little Kittens by Hearts Content. Although rough around the edges, she was fun to make and the costuming was a great eye-opener for me. You can't see it but she has just the cutest little bloomers on. Not pictured are a number of stump dolls, and clay projects just waiting for the mood to strike!

Next we move onto my first attempt at doll furniture. This piece is strictly a piece for 'show'. I've always wanted a dressing screen and (what I call) a 1920's style lounger. I've just never had the room for it. This one fits perfectly on a shelf in my studio. The next 3 pictures are just a sampling of my first attempts at pieced quilts. And despite the fact that I have a Grace Sturdy Lite machine quilting frame (just gathering dust), a new sewing machine, and serger some of them are still unfinished. Ohhhhh, that UFO pile needs a room of its own...























The table runners were fun to put together. Even though they are not quilted, the piecing was very challenging. There was a lot of improvising going on there. I have done quite a lot of home decor projects, including curtains and bed sets. This one is in my bedroom. I also made these awning for my kitchen. I think I like making patterns just as much as doing the project itself.











Finally, we have some fabric art projects. I entertained the idea of moving into altered art and mixed media but never took it any further than this. Oh, someday the things I going to create!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gerry
The wallhanging ... a square with a circle and the girl in it... tell me about it, please?
I like it a lot... and all of your pics. Beautiful work.

Linda

Ati said...

Very, very nice dolls ,nice quilts too!
Thank you for peeping in your house, you became near to me this way, although there are a few thousand miles between us.
Your 2nd. heart looks very colorful and lovely too.

Gerry said...

Linda, this is made from a foam board backing with fabric glued over it. It's stacked to add dimension. I have 3 other pieces that go with it, to make a wall grouping. I just don't have them finished-Big Surprise!!!!

Ati, thanks so much. I'm really much more comfortable with home decor. Maybe because it's on a larger scale. And yes, it's nice to feel closer to a friend :)

Melissa said...

LOL, I like the way you put "Jack of all trades but Master of none" I'm the same way!!! I love your bed set you made! How did you make the coverlet I'm very interested!
Melissa

Gerry said...

Yes, I made the spread, the skirt, and the pillows, including the shams. I also made matching table runners and sheer curtains.