10 December 2006

33 Names of Things You Never Knew Had Names...Or Did You Know?

I was surfing through the stories that came up on my NetScape page today, and ran across The Book of Lists site which appropriately enough had a "list" of 33 Names Of Things You Never Knew Had Names. I was especially tickled to find #1 and #4 since they are frequently in cross-word puzzles and I can never remember their names.

Another fun spot at this site is 23 Obscure and Obsolete Words. Some of these are hillarious. And I have to wonder why some of them even had names.

And the list for 27 Things That Are Not What They Seem. For example"

1. A firefly is not a fly - it's a beetle.

2. A prairie dog is not a dog - it's a rodent.

3. India ink is not from India - it's from China and Egypt.

4. A horned toad is not a toad - it's a lizard.

5. A lead pencil contains no lead - it contains graphite.

And finally, 17 Pairs of Contradictory Proverbs. I find these particularly interesting as I have used most of them at one time or another. And until seeing them together in this list, I never made the connection or found anything odd about them.

Awe, just silly things to ponder but important trivia to know!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Thanks for the interesting links! And the poem is a wonderful tribute - thanks for that, too.

Gerry said...

I thought they were fun. And I actually decided to repost the poem after I saw the lovely poem on your site. It wouldn't let me comment. BOO HISS.