13 August 2009

Celebration Day

Today is my 3 year BlogAversary.

For those of you who don't already know, the name of my blog was inspired by the fact that I'm a Lefty (aka Southpaw). And because I love to sew, I chose the name Sewing Southpaw.

Yet it was purely a coincidence that I started my blog on National Left-hander's Day, which is also today!!!!

And how totally cool that all this took place on my favorite number day - the 13th. I guess, it was meant to be. LOL.

Here are some Left Handed Facts and Trivia (courtesy of Holiday Insights):

1. Sinistrophobia is the fear of left-handedness or things on the left side.

2. While many people are left handed, very few are 100% left handed. For example, many Left handers golf and bat right handed. On the other hand, there is a high percentage of righties who are 100% right-handed.

3. Lefties are also called "southpaws". The term was coined in baseball to describe a left handed pitcher.

4. Tuesdays are Lefties luck day.

5. Only about 10% of the population is left handed.

6. During the 1600's people, thought left handers were witches and warlocks.

7. International Left Hander's Day was first celebrated on August 13, 1976. It was started by Lefthander's International.

8. They say everyone was born right handed, and only the greatest overcome it. (he,he,he)

9. It is believed that all polar bears are left handed. Also see Polar Bear Day.

10. There is a rumor that octopuses have but one right hand. Scientists are diligently studying this issue.


To everyone who has followed my blog from the beginning, those who pop in from time to time, and those of you who are new or 1st timers, I say THANK YOU so very much for taking the time. It's wonderful to hear from you. I appreciate you all!

Have a great day and if you're a Lefty - kudos to you!



Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!


7 comments:

Skye said...

Hi Gerry and Happy Lefthander's Day and Blog Anniversary...In regards to lefthanders - My husband is 100% Lefthanded, my brother is 100% lefthanded but my son (not related to my husband) is about 90% Lefthanded...The only thing he doesn't do lefthanded, is play hockey but everything else, including baseball is done lefthanded..I hope you have a grand lefthanded day!!!"Lefthanders are the only ones who use the right hand"....hugs, Skye

Cathy said...

Hi Gerry, and Happy Blogaversary! Your left-handed facts were really interesting. Although I'm a right hander, I do several things left handed, like drinking coffee (a VERY IMPORTANT thing!). Am also a switch-hitter in baseball, for whatever *that's* worth now that I'm over 50, LOL. Keep up the good work - I enjoy your blog. See you in September.... (or, CQ in September...). ugh... Hugs, Cathy

Judy S. said...

Happy Blogaversary, Gerry! My left-handed daughter has a magnet that says "Lefthanded people are ones in their right mind." Have a great day!

Cat said...

Happy Blog Anniversary!

I would suspect that lefties use more of their brain - being more ambidextrious and all. I've tried using my left hand on the computer mouse and NO CAN DO!

Gary painted his Harley green on Friday the 13th once... a total taboo.

Miss you. :) C

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Happy Blogaversary!! Three years hardly seems possible...
I love the photos of your work in the title, and enjoyed the movie!

My fairy name is Thorn Hailfilter. Want to find yours? There's a link from my blog on the left.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your blogoversary! Wow! 3 years! That's amazing. It's been nice visiting your blog over the last year or so that I've gotten to know you! :)

Gerry said...

Gosh, better late than never I guess to say thank you for visiting and for your kind words.

Blogger and Comcast have really been messing with me lately.

Sometimes it takes 2 weeks for any notification of comments, then I don't get the email AND/OR when I respond my email just disappears into thin WEB AIR.

Sorry ladies. I do appreciate you taking the time.