28 October 2010

Horse Quilt Finished

I had planned to make this for and give it to my son for his 20th birthday....that didn't pan out, so its on one of the guest beds upstairs for now. Here's how it looks.

(Horse Quilt - Finished Set)



I started this quilt in March and got it finished the first week in October. And while it turned out to be more of a project than I expected I couldn't be more happy with it. It fits nicely on a queen sized bed (which is a lot larger than the original planned twin size. LOL) and I'm very happy that I rounded out the corners, despite the effort and time it took.

In case you missed my previous posts about this quilt, I will give you a quickie review. (See more photos HERE and HERE, and/or search this blog for "Horse Quilt")

The main fabrics (green and brown) and the backing are a very soft ultra suede. There are a number of hand embroidered designs scattered on the quilt, such as the white horses in the squares and circles, the cowboy hats and boots, the saddles, the barbed-wire that runs throughout, and the lassos made of green glittery cording. My personal favorite is the mountain scene with its snow caps, pool of melting snow, and pine trees.

The main horse panels, horse shoes, and stirrups are all part of some vintage cheater fabrics that I have had since before my son was born. I simply cut them apart to place them where they made the most sense (to me).

I added the other cowboy hats, horses, and burnt orange fabric to the quilt just to help tie it all together. And of course, so that the pillow cases would match. The final touch was the burnt orange piping that I added to both the quilt and the pillow cases. Speaking of which...I'm really happy with how the pillow cases turned out. I love the layered effect with all of the accent pieces.

(After having it quilted)



(After rounding corners, adding piping, and border)





(Close up of mountain scene)



This is the label I attached at the bottom on the back. Thanks for helping me with this, mom. I miss you!



I give a very special THANK YOU to Connie for the fabulous job she did in quilting this for me. I asked only for a 'swirl' type pattern, not expecting too much. Yet she chose the perfect pattern to use. I LOVE IT!!!! In addition, she gave me an accurate and reasonable estimate, kept the deadline promised for turn around, and she took the extra time and effort to do hand quilting where appropriate. She is definitely my GO TO PERSON for machine quilting.

Well.............Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

Gerry

4 comments:

Judy S. said...

I love how this turned out, Gerry. You did a great job using the fabrics. If my memory is correct, I made a pillowcase with your backing fabric. Do you have any left for one?

Cat said...

This quilt is such a masterpiece!
Your pictures are great and it looks perfect in the guest room! I love love love this quilt and am so tickled that I got to see it in person and feel the soft of the ultra suede - and examine the motifs and stitching, all obviously created with love. Great work Gerry, it's a treasure.

P.S. It was nice to see you guys too!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Wow! What a fantastic finish this is. Such a beautiful job you've done with every stitch! Love it.

Cathy said...

Gerry, I guess you are incapable of doing anything just halfway, eh?? LOL. Wowsers! That turned out so beautiful! My goodness, you have MAD decorating skills and quilting abilities. And I can’t believe that you didn’t decorate for Halloween this year!! Are you sure you’re feeling well?!? Hugs, Cathy