08 November 2006

Two Days and Counting - 1st Craft Show

Well, here we are. Or more accurately, here I am. I have my first craft show of the year on Saturday and I'm swamped. I only had 11 months to prepare but as 'Gerry' would have it, I wait until the 11th hour and then I find my motivation. Just for the 'fun' of it, I thought I would post photos of some of my items. The first set being Christmas stockings.

The "Victorian" stockings were really quite fun to work with but much more work than I bargained for. The beads and buttons were all stitched by hand. In fact, all of my stockings have a considerable amount of hand stitching on them and they are all fully lined.











The second photo shows a faux crazy quilt design and two patchworks. I made the patchwork out of vintage fabrics and was originally going to make a bed quilt. However, it got really busy looking in a queen size so I cut it up for stockings and saved the rest for later.

I've gotten some mixed comments about the black brocade stockings. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with black decorations for Christmas. I believe that black is a necessary color, no matter the setting. And the nautical stockings were inspired by a pair that I made for friends who wanted to decorate on their sailboat last year. The last set are curly toed stockings. I did these just for a touch of whimsy! I had started making these stockings before I caught the CQ and embellishing fever. LOL. Otherwise the entire bunch would have been CQ'd.











The next category is table runners. I have a bit of a thing for 'Red Hat' even though I'm not a member of any clubs/groups. Yet, my favorite of the bunch is the 'country' runner. This fabric has to be vintage by virtue of the number of years that I've had it, and the number of years my mother had it prior to that. If this one doesn't sale this year, it's going on my antique buffet in my dining room.

While the more traditional runners are what most people are looking for, there are always those who, like me, just can't settle for straight, boring lines. So, to satisfy my creative 'inner being' I had to alter the patterns to create curves and layers.

The last bunch are tote bags that I pieced together. When DH and I vacationed in Denmark this summer, I took one of them with me and did my own R&D . It worked out so well for toting my maps and sight-seeing info, and my umbrella and camera, that I decided to keep it. I wish that I had brought more of them because I had a number of people ask me where I got it. Oh well, you just never know where a potential sale will be. LOL.

And finally, bringing up the rear are fabric hanger
covers. I just love these things for my 'special' garments. IMHO there's nothing worse than having a nice jacket or dress misshaped by using a regular hanger.



Well, here's hoping that none of it needs to be hauled back home Saturday evening.

8 comments:

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Quite an assortment of pretty, quality, items. I think my favorites are the curly toed stockings! I knew for sure you'd have some of those neat pin cushions... I need to go back and find that pattern. Good work, and good luck at the show!!

Maddie Can Fly said...

LOVE the curly toed stockings. Good luck -- hope you do well at your show.

Ati said...

Oh my Gerry, what a lot of work have you done.
And all so nice !
It is for sure very common in the states to have this kind of sales- shows.
It is unnown in the Netherlands, I have visit one in Norway now. They had much nice stuff too.
I wish you a good trade saturday.
Hope you have nothing to carry home!

Susan said...

What a great variety. I don't see anything wrong with black at Christmas. It's rich looking, especially with some metallic something. I'm sure the right person will love it.

Anonymous said...

Well done! my, you have been busy.
I have no problem with black xmas ornaments. Black tinsel can look wonderful with gold or silver ornaments.

Let us know how you do, ok?

Anonymous said...

Wishing you good luck on your craft show, I hope you sell lots, you have sure put alot of work into preparing.
Let us know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerry! Boy, you sure have been working hard! I LOVE the stockings...and I have a favorite of course! Even though I'm a purple & pink lover....I just love the antique white stocking!! It's just so elegant looking! The scalloped edge is a wonderful touch, too. And the curly toed stockings are so neat! So playful... As for the black one... I'll pass on the advice that was given to me when I did my first show: "Variety sells." There will most certainly be someone out there that will fall in love with a black stocking! You never know, it might be somebody who's into Goth! (I made one in plastic canvas and it's still on my fridge!).

I only made one item for my first show and that was stuffed dinosaurs--for kids & for home decor. Well, they sold... But I didn't sell out and I didn't make a fortune. As a matter of fact, I didn't really make much after deducting all of the costs involved. But, rather than just give up, I went around and solicited advice from the other sellers. And aside from having variety, they told me sometimes you need to focus in on a particular clientele...like women, for example. I was told that women are usually the ones buying stuff and it's important to lure them in....

When I did the second show, I followed a lot of their advise and I added lots of variety: dinosaurs + dolls, hair bows, Christmas ornaments (all kinds), some jewelry, pencil toppers, grab bags, etc... Well, I doubled my sales. And I needed help...So I enlisted my mother! Cheap labor, lol!!

I still didn't make a fortune. But I definately saw the potential for it---IF I could handle the business end, as well as the A&C part of it. Dealing with IRS wasn't fun either....aarghh.... I think they're the ones that got me frustrated enough that I just said 'Okay, I'm done'. Maybe I'll try again, someday. Until then, I'll leave all of that exciting stuff up to you other brave gals. I want to wish you lots and lots of luck! And you go out there and sell your heart out girl! I hope you sell out! VBG, Brenda M.

JK said...

These are really pretty! I have to admit, I love those little curly toed ones, so whimsical. Great job hon!