05 November 2006

Full Moon But No Werewolves

For those of you who don't know, I got a new digital camera not too long ago. And I've been taking pictures like crazy with it. These are my first night shots. I think it was the full moon that prompted me to run into the house and grab it last night. I really like this shot becasue the sky was completely clear.


I just love a full moon. Not only is it sort of spooky, I also find it very romantic. Just like two of my favorite movies: MoonStruck, with Cher and Nicholas Cage; and Wolf, with Jack Nicholson and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Between the first picture and this one clouds started to form and the moon was nearly covered by them. But by the time I took these pictures (over a two or three hour period) the clouds had started to break up and moved on.



These pictures (above and below) were taken in the back yard beneath one of our trees. One with the 'night shot' setting, the other with the regular manual setting and no flash. If you click on the picture, you'll get the 'bigger' version. They are really quite cool. Very eerie!


This last picture was taken looking out over the roof. The clouds were just starting to break up and move on. Again, if you click on the picture, you'll get the 'bigger' version. It really is an awesome shot.


I'm very happy with this camera. It's a Canon PowerShot A710IS, in case anyone might be considering a new camera.

6 comments:

Cat said...

I DO need a new camera. I bought a cheepy in a rush last year and it's already shot it's last shot!

I will look into the Canon that you have.

The picture thru the trees looks like an eye ball! I think the lighted ring around the moon is called a "moon-dog" and means you are 3 days from a storm coming in.

Have a good week, Cat

Susan said...

Isn't that fun? I did the same thing in early September, when the moon was full and we were parked in the forest. Probably my favorite thing was a short movie of our campfire that night, though.

BTW, I like your yellow ribbon tree on the sidebar.

May Britt said...

I noticed it before going to bed yesterday. The full moon was so beautiful. And your camera took good photos.
I have a question. How do you manage to put photos in the right side of your blog. Is there any place I can learn more about decorating my blog. Your blog is so beautiful, and mine so booring LOL

Gerry said...

Thanks for the info Cat. We actually did have a pretty nastly little storm this morning and we expect another one this evening.

Susan, gosh I haven't been camping forever, it seems like. I always liked to sit around the fire and tale scary stories!

Hi May, thanks for the compliment. I can't explain the 'workings' here but if you email me privately, I would be glad to help you.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Great job, Gerry. I enjoy taking shot of the moon, too. I love the crescent moon as well! My favorite in this set it is one beneath the tree. Fun playing with new toys, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Excellent spooky photos! Love them.