28 October 2006

2006 VBCS - progress

Here is my 'progress' on my CQForNewbies Crazy Quilted Christmas Stocking, aka Victorian Boot Christmas Stocking (VBCS) Swap. It's supposed to be in the mail by November 17th. Looking at it right now, I'm concerned. I guess I just need to get that needle in my hand and get going.

I ended up designing this boot stocking from a miss-match of patterns that I had. You know, a part of this and a part of that. Kind of like the way I cook. But that's another story for another time. When finished this boot stocking will be approximately 11" long by 5 1/2" wide at the top and 6 1/2" wide at the bottom.


This swap is graciously being hosted by Mary. The intention is to not only make something unique and fun for our swap partner, it will also be, in Mary's words, "a stash building swap."

Shortly, each of us will receive the name of our swap partner and we will mail the stocking directly to them. But NOT JUST the stocking. There will be lots of goodies stuffed inside. Each stocking is to contain a minimum of 4 squishies. And the squishies can be in any combination of goodies we like.

Okay, I see question marks dancing above some heads out there. What is a squishie? Well, it's a baggie of goodies that when put together feels 'squishie.' That was the description given to me when I asked, and you know what? It's true. So what does a squishie contain?

A squishie contains an assortment of fabric pieces, usually around 6"-8" square, and ranging from cottons to velvets. It also contains pieces of ribbon, buttons, lace, embroidery threads, etc. Anything that can be used to 'fancy' up a CQ block.

Also because I'm a visual person, I'll treat you to a few pictures as well. BTW, I swiped these pictures from Elizabet's blog. She is the most recent recipient of the "Birthday Group #2" squishies, so finding them was easy.

This is the squishie I sent to her.

This one is from Wilma.

This one is from Brenda.

I know you're thinking... WOW, that's a lot of stuff. Well, I'm pretty sure that no one is going to have to 'mortgage the farm' to fill them. The stockings do have a minimum size of 8" in length but most CQ projects tend to stay on the 'smaller' side just because they involve so much time and effort to complete.

As for the embellishments, they can be on one or both sides, and they also need to have a loop sewn on so that they can be hung up, if necessary. Mary also reminds us that, "As you won't know who is to receive your stocking, you will be making something from the heart. In other words, make it the way YOU want it."

Well, I guess that's it for today. I really need to try and get some other things done. 'Til next time. Tootles!

4 comments:

NormaH said...

Hi Gerry, it looks like you are having lots and lots of cq fun. Love your Boot Stocking!

Susan said...

Love the boot! This sounds like a great swap. I may have to come join that list afterall! =)

Jo in NZ said...

Gerry, your boot is just fabulous!! I would like to see how the heel turns out once assembled, that seems to cause trouble, but yours is wider than others I have seen.

Gerry said...

The heel itself is nearly 2" wide at the narrowest point. 2"1/2 at the widest. I figure even with a somewhat generous seam allowance, it will hold it's shape. Keeping fingers crossed. LOL.