19 March 2007

Monday Morning...

Spring Break is over and life begins again. LOL. It was nice having DS home for a few days of fun. No homework, schedules, etc. That's gotten to be a rarity! We've even had some really nice weather. Which is nothing to take for granted when we only get about a dozen or so days a year that are really, really nice. Low humidity, no bugs and no storms.

I even did some gardening. I don't do gardening. My house plants thrive and I love them but I really don't care too much about what happens in the yard. But after this weekend, that could change. I had a pretty good time.

We're hoping that our landscape grows back after having a sustained freeze. But for now, the hibiscus, gingers and fire bushes aren't looking too good. We planted a few lilies in the back bed but for now the only thing making an impression is the GREEN box.


We tore out all of the grasses in the two front beds and planted some azaleas and heather. The color will be nice. And hopefully the extra mulch and stones will keep the mud and weeds to a minimum. Fritz and Bella love to be outside but with our unpredictable weather, it can be a challenge keeping them clean.


This photo is looking out of our bedroom. It will be so nice when everything starts to bloom. It's pretty bleak right now. The grass is still winter yucky and the trees have just started to put leaves back out.




Moving on to the front yard.... We had two large trees die on us last year which we had to have removed. That left us with not only a large empty spot in the pocket book but also just outside the dining room. We've decided not to replace the trees just yet. So what better to do in the mean time but plant bushes and flowers???? And again hoping that our smaller trees, and bushes survived the freeze and will come back. As with the back, we planted azaleas and lilies. We have a number of bushes and plants that will fill in the bare spots....that is, if they survived the freeze!

This is my one and only rosebush (I'm not a fan of roses). It DID survive and has buds waiting to open. And my favorite Yellow Tree (don't know what it's called and not pictured) also has new leaves on it. So, in a few weeks we should have lots of color.










Finally, just a peek at some of my house plants. More trees than plants, I guess. And Believe it or not, this Norfolk Pine was given to me about 11 years ago as a 'joke' present. It was not much more than just a stick in a 1/2 pint milk carton. I took it home, repotted it and look at it now. What a beauty. And my only evergreen plant! The rest of the gang will get repotted in the next few weeks and moved around the house for the best light. I should have taken photos of an ivy or two. Some of my plants have been with me for nearly 30 years!






























And to round out the weekend, Fritz and Bella got a bath and brushing. Dirty dogs and light carpet don't do well together. And as you might notice, Bella is okay with it but Fritz is still pissed. LOL.

Well, got to go do domestic stuff. Have a good one!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Amazing plantings. It will be just delightful by this time next month, if not sooner. I'm glad you enjoyed the visit with your son. Those times are increasingly rare as they grow older.

Gerry said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the bugs don't eat the plants before they really take root. And visiting with DS was nice. At his age hanging with 'the folks' isn't usually the best offer he's going to get. LOL.