10 April 2007

Another Life Lost to Breast Cancer

We returned home yesterday from a very sorrowful trip to the Mid-West. My DH's sister, Lou lost her fight with breast cancer at 66. She will be missed. She touched so many lives.

The truly sad part of it is that she was always good to have her mammograms. But somehow she missed one. And as life would have it, she developed breast cancer during that time.

She is survived by her two children, her three grandchildren, a sister, and two brothers. She was a teacher and loved teaching. She was a good Christian, and a wonderfully caring person. She always remembered everyone's birthdays and anniversaries, and would often send a card or make a phone call just to say, "hello."

As a memorial to her, I made this CQ Block for her daughter, Mindy. I was very flattered that she chose to display it with other treasures and memorial items at Lou's service. I hope that looking at it will bring a smile to her face in troubled times.

This is, of course, the naked block. I didn't have anything particular color theme in mind when I pieced it but I am very happy with how well it turned out



I chose this poem because it most suited the sentiment that I was trying to convey, based on what I knew of their relationship. The angel represents the promise that Lou is cradled in love. And I wrapped it in a pink ribbon to symbolize Breast Cancer Awareness.

The names encircled in the hearts are those of her two children. I placed the heart and key below to symbolize their love for their mother. The roses above is a reflection of how much they cherished their time together before the diagnosis, and especially afterward.

I placed the spider and web on the block in hopes that it will bring good luck and good fortune. The chain and the blue beads (at the lower left) symbolize the long and painful road that they traveled while fighting this cancer.

The flower buds (and flowers below) are meant to represent the miracle of life, and the bare branches, the promise even though life must end it is always made a new.I would like to think that the stars are angles looking down upon the earth. Watching out for those of us left behind.


The dragonfly, to me, is the perfect symbol of Spring, sunshine, and sweet smelling flowers. Of new life, of new beginnings, and of hope for the future. The three crystals attached to the heart below are meant to represent the love bond between Lou and her grandchildren.


You see it here as a complete block.

And here as it was presented, framed.
In closing I would like to sincerely thank each and every person who kept our family in their prayers during this difficult and sad time.

19 comments:

Candi said...

Gerry, your block is so beautiful as is the poem and all the love that went into it. I've lost a brother and nephew inside the last 7 weeks so I understand your sorrow. Know that you and yours have been in my prayers.
HUGZ:)
Candi

Gerry said...

Candi,
Thank you so much for the sentiment and the compliment. My heart goes out to you also in your time of loss.

Wilma said...

Gerry, it is really touching how a CQ block can represent so much feeling and love for your DH's sister, this will be a wonderful memorie for her children and grandchildren.
Hugs, WILMA

Virgi said...

Gerry, I am very sorry for your loss.

Jo in NZ said...

Gerry, what a beautiful and well thought out block.

Gerry said...

Thank you so much, Virgi, Wilma, and Jo. I've come to realize just how theraputic CQ'ing really is to me :-)

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I tried commenting on this the day you posted but could not get blogger to cooperate!

That is the most beautiful thoughtful thing that I have ever seen. Do you realize how much comfort that will bring to her family?

You are so talented and so kind hearted.

Maddie Can Fly said...

Beautiful block -- not just the workmanship, but all the heart-felt symbolism that went into it.

Cat said...

I'm sorry to hear this news of your Sis-in-law!

You made a treasure that will help to heal the broken hearts left behind. Just awesome. Lou must be looking down with a smile at it!

Gerry said...

Mindy, Lesa and Cat thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and visit. I'm hoping that this block will help to brighten her sorrowful days.

Ati said...

Gerry, i can't say more than the others did before me, it is a lovely thought, your niece have something to treasure.

Lisa said...

Gerry that is a beautiful block and a wonderful gift for your niece, I'm very sorry for you and your families loss.

I have just lost my uncle 2 weeks ago to cancer and my mum has only this week had an operation because of cancer, I just hope and pray that one day they will find a cure for all cancers.

Gerry said...

Ati, it's nice to see you visiting! Thanks for taking the time.

Lisa, my sympathies to you and your family also. Best wishes to you mum, and hoping for a quick and full recovery.

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Gerry, I'm sorry I had no idea you had a loss in the family. I lost my BIL last three weeks ago, so I know you are grieving. Your gift is beautiful and made me tear up. I love that poem. You did a great job. Take care and hang in there.

Gerry said...

My sympathies to you and your family also, Pat.

Faye said...

What a lovely, very special piece of work. I'm sure it will be treasured by your SIL's family. Do hope you all are starting to coup a little better without her. It's a very sad time...
Luv - Faye

Gerry said...

Thank you Faye for taking the time to stop by, read, and comment. I appreciate your words of comfort. Best to you also!

Clothmatters said...

What a beautiful and sentimental gift to give to your niece.

JK said...

Gerry, I just found out that you have lost a loved one. Hon, I am so very sorry, and my heart, sympathy and prayers go out to you and your family. What you have done is simply beautiful and will be a treasured keepsake for all time.

Take care of yourself okay?