08 June 2007

ETS - Block 1 Finished

Wow, I must have too much time on my hands lately. This block was done before I knew it! The hieroglyphics were fun. I wish I could have used more of them. Maybe on Block 2.








I'm not sure what happened with the center piece of fabric but I got a lot of stretch in it as I worked it. Unfortunately, tacking it down a bit with beads on the neck piece and at the bottom of the costume didn't really help too much. Oh well, lessons learned!






The black and gold trim piece is technically Greek in design but is still similar to some of the costume and textile patterns I found in my 'Egyptian' research. And apparently, Egypt's original name was Kemet, which is a Greek word meaning "Black."






The hieroglyphics mean Life, Prosperity, and Health. Hieroglyphics can be read left to right, right to left, or up and down. The key is in the direction the 'subject' is facing. In this case, they are read from bottom to top. The ankh meaning "Life." The cat is of course the symbol for the goddess Bastet (aka, Bast). Cats were so revered and worshipped that sadly, and based on the number of mummified cats and kittens that have been found in Ancient ruins, it's estimated that millions of them were bred, in part, for the purpose of being given/sold to worshippers when entering a temple/shrine as an offering to the GODS. I've also lined the far seam with ankhs and pyramids. Or at least my version of them. LOL








The rose is only a symbol relating to the story at the following link. The story is listed as a myth but is quite interesting because in reading it, the story base for both Cinderella and Dorothy's ruby slippers emerge. If you have a moment, you really should try and read the story of The Girl with the Red Rose Slippers.







And finally, there is recognition of the Nile, and the cobra, and the palms leaves which were used as fans to cool the "Royalty."


Thanks for joining me on this little history lesson. But now it's time to clean up my studio, make myself presentable, and go to a movie and dinner with my DH.

Happy Needling!

9 comments:

Jo in NZ said...

Gerry, I love your egyptian blocks. I find themed blocks hard to do, but great when you get going.
You have really found your groove with this CQing!!!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Very nice work, and a neat hisotry lesson as well. Love your beading choices and the pyramid/ankh seam!

Gerry said...

Knowing your work, I am very happy to have your comments and compliments. I'm off to visit your blogs and see what you've been up to, too!

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

This was the first time I have seen your blog -- VERY nice indeed. Your CQ is fantastic -- I was going to say to you that you should join CrazyQuiltingInternational -- then saw Jo in NZ had written here too -- so maybe you already belong -- if not, go go to: Crazy Quilting International and consider joining.
Hugz,
Jackie Beadin' Gram

Candi said...

Gerry they're gorgeous! You have such a gift for putting colors and schemes together. I love what you'e done.
HUGZ:)
Candi

Ati said...

Gerry , your block has turned out beautiful. And thank you for the explanation for all the things you have put on it. Very, very nice !!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

It is just awesome! You are just so very talented!

Renea said...

The blocks are coming to gether great! I love the flower motif.

Keep up the great stitching. Your work is really progressing in a good direction.

Gerry said...

Hi Jakie, I'll look into CQI when I have some extra time. LOL. Thanks for stopping by. You're doing some wonderful bead work, love the green/yellow spirit doll.

Hi Ati, Mindy & Renea. Thanks so much for the kind words. I guess an old dog really can learn new tricks. LOL!