06 March 2008

STS-Spring

This is the third of a four block share project that I am hostessing. Summer will begin in May and wrap up around July. I've had so much fun so far with this year long project. This is my first time as hostess and I feel so fortunate to have had such a wonderful group of artists join in. I give full credit to all of them for being so generous with their time and efforts. For their commitment and creativity. And mostly for meeting their deadlines. Thanks you ladies!

This block is my partner, Mary's spring block. I've just finished working my half of it. This was a great experience for me because I typically don't work with blues. But I took her lead, worked with the blues, and now I'm rethinking my likes and dislikes in color choices. Expanding my comfort zone. I guess everything can't be purple and green. LOL.

Here is the before



And the after



I used blue shiny beads for the spider body, and glitter thread for the legs. Silk ribbon for the blue flower/leaves and blue seed beads. The yellow and green ribbon at the bottom are supposed to be rose buds. Obviously I need more practice here. The charms are garden themed (one has a garden saying, one is a wheelbarrow, the other is a frog). And I sprinkled in some butterflies, dragonflies and a lady bug for fun.

The seam along the right side is one of those that you start without fully realizing what you're getting into. Had I realized that it was going to take 174 French Knots to complete the grape clusters, I think I would have worked them on a shorter seam. I will definitely keep that in mind for next time. The seam treatment at the lower left is supposed to be a fence. I'll keep working on that too. LOL.

But in the end, I really like the way it turned out. Mary says that she likes it too, so that's what really matters. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!


Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!



5 comments:

Judy S. said...

Hi Gerry,

It was fun to look at the details of your stitching....all those French knots, yikes! I've been thinking about attempting some of those grapes, but now....... I especially like the blue spray of flowers, and of course, the spider plus its web....fun stuff! Your work is really nice!

Ati said...

You did a beautiful job, no wonder that Mary is happy !

Gerry said...

Thank you!!! And don't forget, for all of the work - French Knots can be very relaxing!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Very impressive work, my friend! I see you've been practicing your silk ribbon work - stunning! Yes, the french knots are well worth the time and effort - beautiful. The spider is great, and her web is very, very nice! Love it, and know Mary does, too!

Lori said...

Great Job on Mary's block, Gerry! I am sure she will be very happy with it! The grapes look great, of course your spider webs are always wonderful! and I love all the vines and roses!
Lori