31 May 2008

Making Me Something!

It finally dawned on my that after about 2 years of swapping, sharing, round robins, charities, challenges, etc., that I haven't made anything for myself other than my cell phone pouch. So, I'm going to remedy that by making a wall hanging for my studio.

So, what do you think of my block? It's huge! At ~23" x 23" it's the largest block that I have ever made. And believe me, I struggled with it. It's not as wrinkled looking in person as the photo would suggest. I think it must be an exaggeration from the shiny fabrics in the light. Overall I'm happy with it and I really like the way it turned out.

I've basted at 1" and again at 2" all the way around so that I will have plenty of room for a border. I've even basted out the corners to get an idea of how it will look with the border. Even though it's a bit skewed now, I'm pretty sure I can square it up later. Or at least give it that illusion. LOL. Finally, I surged the outer edges to minimize fraying while I'm mauling it around.....I mean while I'm working on it.



I did use my own stash fabrics for this because I had picked them out specifically to coordinate with the fabulous brocade piece that I placed in the center of the block. I'm not sure how I will address it but I'm sure I'll come up with something fun.

As for what I will put on to the block....I've decided that I will use exclusively the items that I have received from my crazy quilting and doll making friends, from both groups and blogs to stitch, embellish, and pretty it up.



Can you believe all this stuff???? I've been pretty much drooling over it as it arrived and then tossing it in a basket (for the last 2 years), thinking that I would someday get around to sorting through it. Well, that day was yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that. Anyway, I was absolutely amazed by what I found in all of the baggies.

I found myself surrounded by a delightful plethora of fabrics, laces (lots of vintage, Venice and hand-dyed), hand tatted/crocheted motifs, lace motifs, beads, charms, trims, a huge variety of other embellishments, buttons, threads of every kind and color, yarns and assorted fibers, silkies, etc., etc., etc. I can't imagine that I waited so long to play with it all. And to really see what was there.

On that note, I simply must say THANK YOU again to all of you who have been so generous with your hostess gifts, your thank you gifts, your ROAKs (random act of kindness), your surprise packages, etc. I treasure it all!!!!

Well, I better get to choosing my laces and things. I also have a block to piece for an upcoming round robin. I seem to have a number of projects in the works that I'm taking my time completing. LOL. Among them are the dragon block, two blocks that I need to complete my fairy tale round robin piece, and soon the STS-Summer block. WOW! That's more than I thought I had hanging out there. Hhhhmmmmm. Oh well :-)

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend! And I'll post my progress as it happens.


Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!

8 comments:

zetor said...

Hi Gerry, what beautiful , vibrant colours are going into that block. It's lovely. Happy sewing.

Judy S. said...

Great block, Gerry! You'll have fun with all those seams to embellish. I tried several times yesterday to post here but couldn't get through...got page couldn't be displayed. Weird, eh?

Ati said...

Gerry the block looks great.
And it seemes you don't have to go to a shop for embellishments . LOL Have a nice summer doing the block. It became the right time to make something nice for yourself !!

Gerry said...

Thanks ladies for the compliment. Sometimes it's nice to do something for ourselves.

francoise Escandell said...

bravo Gerry ! même en français c'est magnifique !

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

You should make a wall hanging for you!!Way to go! I love that you are embellishing with RAOK gifts and such. I do this too, and it makes the project a million times more special. Good for you!

Gerry said...

A wall haning is a great idea. Especially since I don't have one single thing on the walls in my studio.

I didn't realize how many ROAK's I'd been blessed with until now. And some of them are from you, Pat!

Thanks again, everyone.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Isn't it amazing how those great things stack up, and then when you get back around to them, you realize how wonderful they really are - and how much they fit into your favorites! Maybe I'll see an update as I scroll upward!