14 January 2009

RR's and Swaps and Stuff

This is my nakkid block for the Hearts II Round Robin that begins on February 1st over at CQI (Crazy Quilting International). There will be five of us in this round robin. We are: Cathy, Karen, Debbie (in Maine), and Carol (in Florida).

Since the theme is "Hearts", I chose to go with.....a heart. The block is 14" square, with the heart measuring 9" wide by 7" long.

I pieced the heart first, and separately. I wasn't sure when I started exactly where I was going with it.

Next, I cut and fitted the gold lame frame around it. Attached the gold dupioni on the outer corners. I through in the gold and brown silk on the sides just for fun.


Finally, I attached a cranberry colored, silk border around the entire block. The border is 1 1/2" wide with picture frame corners. Depending on how much it shrinks and/or skews while being worked, I might add an additional border piece to finish it off.


I used gold cording at the outer gold border and gold cording around the heart. It really gives the block a more dimensional look.


It seems like for the longest time that I really wasn't participating in anything at all. Well, except for working on my CQI Purse Contest purse, which I can't share until after May when the voting is over.

Anyway, this is what else I have coming up:

1. Bi-monthly heart swap with CQN, hosted by Sue, which mails out by January 31st (and by the end of every other month there after until????).

2. The CQI Spiders & Webs RR. I haven't even thought about that block yet, which begins February 1st.

3. A Valentine Gift Swap organized by Mindy, due in the mail by February 1st.

4. The CQI purse contest due in May.

5. A fabric swap organized by Katy, due by February 14th.

6. A "Your Choice" give away at One World-One Heart (OWOH), organized by Lisa that will be posted to each participant's blog and formally announced on January 19th with the winner announced on February 12th.

And that's it. Other than the remodel, which begins with demo on the 27th.

I'll keep you updated, so check back. Good night!

Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!


11 comments:

Kitty said...

That is a very beautiful heart - so much work in one piece.

x

Ati said...

Great block Gerry. And you will be surprised when it comes back to you :)

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

WOW! You are going to be a busy girl!!!

I love that heart. Your work is just so good.

Candi said...

Gerry, your heart is just beautiful! It's going to be gorgeous after all the stitching is done on it.
hugz:)

Gerry said...

Thanks so much, Kitty. Lot’s of work is the nature of crazy quilting I guess. I find it very relaxing. I love your monkeys that you made. Very cute – and – very cool!!

Hi Ati, thanks so much for stopping by. And you’re right, I bet I will be surprised. I thought of your heart quilt when I pieced this block. I’m not going for such a large scale but in the ballpark, still.

Hey Mindy! I seem to have a tendency to be “all or nothing” in my adventures. But I couldn’t pass on your swappy either!!!

Thanks for visiting me Candi. I’m very excited about what the other ladies will do with the block. I know I will just love it!

Lori said...

Gerry! love your heart! so pretty! with all the gold and red it really stands out! can't wait to see the progress on it!
Sorry to hear about Bella...
and thanks for stopping by my blog!
Hugs to you!
Lori

The Joy of Nesting said...

hi Gerry,

Thank you so much stopping by for a visit today. Yep the grew is quitw a gang. Each with their very own unique personalities.

It looks like you are going to be one busy girl! :) Please stop by again when you have time. I'm looking forward to visiting again with the One Heart One World caravan!!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mexico

Cat said...

Your heart is beautiful.

So is your crazy quilt heart. The colors are just royal - I love the gold border. This will be a pleasure for the other rr members to work on!!

Gerry said...

Hi Lori! Gosh, it's good to see you. Thanks for the compliment. I'm excited to see what becomes of it.

Courtney Short said...

the heart is great.. I love how you put it together.. and I can't wait to see it finished.. and by the way - your blog looks fine to me - of course - I have a 24 inch screen so it doesn't look the same if someone else is looking at it.

Gerry said...

Hey Courtney - long time no see! LOL. Thanks, I was having a moment of creative genius. Also, thanks about the WONKY blog. I finally got it tweaked out.